GC2300 Diff. Lock

/ GC2300 Diff. Lock #1  

loulblades

Gold Member
Tractor
MF GC2300
Well I am now faced with the first major issue with my tractor since acquiring it a few years ago. The diff lock won't engage.

When I push down on the pedal? stick? engager? it will not go down all the way. I had the tractor in for spring maintenance and told them I needed it back before this weekend but was told it was something internal and I would not be able to get it back when I wanted if they tore it down. So now I am using it without the diff lock (actually have been for the past 6 months but now I would like to have it to tackle some stuff if the mud).

So has anyone here opened up that differential and, if so, just how much work is it? I will be looking over the manuals tonight and maybe they will give me a feel about tackling this job over the weekend (after spreading 20 tons of top soil).

Bummer.

/ GC2300 Diff. Lock #2  
Not something you'll tackle this weekend. Not something you want to tackle if you don't know what you're doing. Hopefully it is something simple and it won't need major repair.

/ GC2300 Diff. Lock #3  
If the tractor is NOT moving, mine will not go down to engage either, must cause one of the rear wheels to spin either in forward or reverse to get it to fully engage. Been that way since new, don't kick it down under full throttle, just forward or reverse pedal slightly to get the either rear wheel to slip.

/ GC2300 Diff. Lock
I have used the diff lock many times playing (I mean working) in the mud and snow.

After referring to the shop manual, I have to agree with MFRED, this is no casual undertaking.

/ GC2300 Diff. Lock #5  
amkfken said:
If the tractor is NOT moving, mine will not go down to engage either, must cause one of the rear wheels to spin either in forward or reverse to get it to fully engage. Been that way since new, don't kick it down under full throttle, just forward or reverse pedal slightly to get the either rear wheel to slip.

Yes, this is how mine works also.

/ GC2300 Diff. Lock #6  
believe the all knowing manual states a half rev on a wheel spinning will allow the diff lock to engage.;)

/ GC2300 Diff. Lock
That sounds about right. I know I could never engage it until I needed it (that is back when it would engage).

Still haven't decided if I will attempt this on my own because I will need it in the near future.

/ GC2300 Diff. Lock #8  
On some models where the arm attaches on the shaft going into the transmission housing, it connects with a roll pin. The shaft will get stiff and then shear the roll pin. Have you checked to see if the shaft is moving when the pedal/lever arm goes up and down?

/ GC2300 Diff. Lock
Actually the pedal doesn't go up and down. It feels "jammed" not the "softer" feel like before when I pressed on it. Even if the diff. wasn't in position to engage, it had...well more give (ie: softer) but now there is immediate heavy resistance.

/ GC2300 Diff. Lock
I left the 2300 at my dealer for the last month while I went to Colorado to search for elk for 2 weeks and we waited for the parts to show.

Just got word from him that it is ready for pickup and he is only charging me for the parts. Says he has the old parts to show me and it looks like I tried to engage the diff lock while the tires were spinning. I thought I was pretty careful about not doing that.

Oh yeah, the parts are ~$860 :eek:. Guess I will be even more careful when I step on that particular pedal in the future.