Front axle seals, GC 2310

/ Front axle seals, GC 2310 #1  

plowking

Gold Member
Tractor
2009 MF 1531 TLB
Hi, folks. I haven't been on in awhile. My front axle seals at the joint where front wheels pivot on axle are weeping. Has anyone else had this happen, my machine has 500 hours. Does loader put more wear, strain on front end? I've been looking at the newer model, I think it is the 2410. Thanks, plowking

/ Front axle seals, GC 2310 #2  
I had to have mine changed just before the warranty expired. The mechanic aksed me if had been "shoving" leafs, as there was some leaf material in the seal. In the fall, I usually use my tractor and mower to blow leafs into the woods. With so many leafs, I usually end up "shoving" them with the front of the tractor. He stated that if it happened again to try the "clean" out the area with water. He said they were easy to change and did cost to much.

/ Front axle seals, GC 2310 #3  
I have a different tractor but I think they are basically the same to do. the seals cost me about30 dollars each a bit pricy but not bad overall.

I followed these directions from RickB here.
Support axle & remove wheel. Drain oil from hub housing. Support lower steering swivel or axle flange. Remove 4 bolts holding steering arm to swivel housing & leave the arm in place. Clean area of swivel seal. Remove support from axle flange & allow/persuade swivel housing & axle to drop off stationary upper half & dowel pin with steering arm. Allow 8" or so of clearance to allow vertical shaft to come down & out. Pull shaft out, pry out seal, clean bearing if needed. Reinstall bearing, install seal metal side up. Install shaft, reinstall lower swivel housing; I use a small floor jack to carefully seat the housing & new seal. Reinstall steering arm. Fill hub with 134D oil. Install wheel. Check oil in axle center section. Consider changing that oil and the oil in the opposite hub.

went well, and the idea of the floor jack to mate the hub to it worked great.I would add that after filling with oil, I let it set a few days and the brought the level up to where it should be.

hope it goes well. I unfortunately had a stud break off, and had to drill and tap it out. but that doesn't seem to be the norm.
oh, and mine never weeped they went right to leaking. first one sid, and then as if on schedule the other side went a week later.I limped through the winter, dreading doing it but found it to be easier than I had thought. so dont let it scare you.
good luck keep us informed...

/ Front axle seals, GC 2310
Thanks for the replies. I could be close to or out of warranty. Just got back, used the tractor for a distribution box replacement in a leachfield and replaced a section of pipe at a different job that was root bound and broken. plowking