Turning in FWD

/ Turning in FWD #1  

mark4Jesus

Silver Member
Tractor
2021 Branson 2610h
Are there limitations turning when FWD is engaged? Can I turn the front wheels all the way without concern?

/ Turning in FWD #2  
Turning in FWD should not be a problem at all.

/ Turning in FWD #3  
On many of our tractors, the front wheels "land speed" is slightly faster than the rear just to address turning.
:D

/ Turning in FWD #4  
chh said:
Turning in FWD should not be a problem at all.

I would add this to that reply:

if the tractor is on gravel or dirt.

The front wheels do turn slightly faster, and need to be able to "slip" a little, you can also feel a binding when turning hard because the inside a outside wheel are rotating at different speeds.
If you are on hard pavement where the tires can't slip a little then you can damage your tractor!

/ Turning in FWD
Thanks guys. I had never give it any thought until the other day when I was doing some disc-ing and noticed how sharp the front wheels turned at full left/right turn. I blew a drive shaft seal on a Kubota I used to have by leaving it in FWD and running down the road in 4/High, so I am always looking out for the FWD.

/ Turning in FWD #7  
FWD just really isn't meant for fast road driving.;) I looked at a used MF 481 last year that I don't think had ever been out of FWD. The axle seals where leaking and the front tires where worn out in under 500 hrs.:( The owner had property on a paved county road and ran field to field on pavement.

/ Turning in FWD #8  
kennyd said:
I would add this to that reply:

if the tractor is on gravel or dirt.

The front wheels do turn slightly faster, and need to be able to "slip" a little, you can also feel a binding when turning hard because the inside a outside wheel are rotating at different speeds.
If you are on hard pavement where the tires can't slip a little then you can damage your tractor!

A picture is always worth a thousand words to me. DEWFPO

Attachments

• Tirepathsinaturn.jpg
    Tirepathsinaturn.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 173
   / Turning in FWD #9  
DEWFPO said:
A picture is always worth a thousand words to me. DEWFPO

That is very cool! Thanks for posting:D

Mind if I save that to use in the future?

/ Turning in FWD
DEWFPO, great picture! I like pictures, easier than reading!