165 lift arm, wont lift

/ 165 lift arm, wont lift #1  

magyarbacsi

Silver Member
Just noticed that all this past years my lift arm on my 165 was not lifting with the position lever at any position and no response at all. I had to use the draft contol in the transport position to lift it and then it would hunt once I set the brush hog height. I can always use a fixed position using a length of chain as I use the 165 for brush hog or box blade work only. I would however like to have the pump and the lift unit fixed. Is there a place that will exchange the unit out with mine. I have a shop manual, but the time and tools I dont have. Its been this way eversince I had it, but did not know enough as what to look for. My first tractor, and I gues I can use it like this for more years. The Perkins is strong as ever at 3700 hrs and not a puff ever, except when I first fire it up and then just a single puff.

/ 165 lift arm, wont lift #2  
First question, have you ever cleaned the hydraulic filter strainer? It is accessible through the triangular plate just under the rear housing (actually attaches to the pump).

Many times the problem can be fixed by replacing the pump control valve (and pressure relief valve while you are at it), which requires removing the top cover and pulling the pump out.

/ 165 lift arm, wont lift
1971, thanx for your reply. I have not replaced any internal filters or cleaned internal screens, yet. I will do that next time I'm out there. I know there is a filter for the hydraulic that is internal. Just found out recently. Does replacing any of the items you suggested require special tools? With the price of fuel ever increasing and a 217 mi. round trip, I'd hate to tear the unit out and not being able to finish due to lack of tooling. As I mentioned before, this is the way the tractor was purchased about 10 yrs ago as I did not know better and has worked fine for brush cutting about 3 times a year on 5 acres. I became aware of the problem when I recently wanted to set the height for a closer cut and the deck would not remain in the selected position. I had to constantly re set it, but only the draft control worked and the clutch had to be partially released, the first stage. So I can raise it fully via the draft control lever or lower it and keep adjusting the height. Tha grass is growing so fast you can almost wach it grow, so for now I'll just use a pre determined height by using a section of a chain that will not allow the deck to fully drop. The back will be supported by the castor wheel and the 3pt arm will be restricted by the length of chain I'll use. Then in the fall, when things stop growing, I will place it inside the garage and do the fix.

I do have a brand new Mahindra 5525 that has an FEL and a BH, but I'd have to remove the BH to use the 3pt. I just need to keep the grass and unwanted shrubs under control for now. Thanx again for your advice.

/ 165 lift arm, wont lift #4  
You basically need something to raise and lower the top lift cover. First time can be a trick with the linkage from the top cover to the pump. I would suggest you have someone do the repairs that has done it before. You need to completely remove the pump to do it.

The filter can be replaced by draining the hydraulic oil and removing the triangular cover. The filter will be up in that hole with a nut on it. Typically there is a wire or cotter pin you need to remove to loosen the nut.

/ 165 lift arm, wont lift #5  
why not try just replacing the fluid. These tractors if left in the rain can ingest water thru the rubber boots on the shift levers. After several years of this it messes up the hydrolic fluid & one symptom is the lift arms wont do anything. I forget the exact weight but it takes about 8 gallons. I put 2 gallons of lucas oil in mine. works great. I'd try the fluid first cause its way cheaper than the shop. Then if that dont work then you know theres an internal prob. Good luck

Todd.

/ 165 lift arm, wont lift #6  
You are not the lone ranger
We have a 135 MF and had it for probably 15 years it also hunts.. we only use it to move round bales.. Another issue ours has it has an after market loader on it.. on the transmission housing there is a little valve with a piece of cold rolled steel for a handle. You have to flip it to different positions for the loader and for the rear 3pt.
The rear 3pt has to be all the way up or the loader will not pick anything up. So the issue at hand if the bale is to large on the back and won't allow it to lift all the way up. The loader will not pick up one in the front.. I changed the relief valve several years ago, Thinking this would fix my problem to no avail. I swapped it while it was still in the rear end housing using a home made extended metric socket and a lot of cursing.
But something somewhere in the tractor it is bypassing as you can feel it pulsating..
Sorry did not mean to steal your thread.