Newbie getting a 250

/ Newbie getting a 250 #1  

enfuego

Getting a 250 sometime this week..hoping I can get some help before I get on it and screw something up. Needing tips/tricks to operate the pto to run the brush hog. I used to own a hinomoto that I mowed 8 acres with, so I am somewhat familiar with operating a tractor. Thanks in advance.

/ Newbie getting a 250 #2  
enfuego said:
Getting a 250 sometime this week..hoping I can get some help before I get on it and screw something up. Needing tips/tricks to operate the pto to run the brush hog. I used to own a hinomoto that I mowed 8 acres with, so I am somewhat familiar with operating a tractor. Thanks in advance.
If I am not mistaken the 250 will have a double clutch. When you push the clutch down the first half of the stroke will disable the drive clutch. The second half of the stroke disengages the PTO. To engage the PTO, push the clutch all the way down, then move the PTO lever into gear. Ease out on the clutch to engage the PTO, then you can bring up the speed.
I hope this helps.

/ Newbie getting a 250 #3  
JerryG said:
If I am not mistaken the 250 will have a double clutch. When you push the clutch down the first half of the stroke will disable the drive clutch. The second half of the stroke disengages the PTO. To engage the PTO, push the clutch all the way down, then move the PTO lever into gear. Ease out on the clutch to engage the PTO, then you can bring up the speed.
I hope this helps.

MOST 250's had 2-stage clutch's, but SOME were available with an independent PTO.

Really fine tractors, either way.

/ Newbie getting a 250
Thanks for the replies. I did get on the tractor last night, it seemed that the clutch wasn't completely working. It would operate the transmission fine, but the pto could only be engaged when the tractor was off.....any suggestions about this issue? Also, there seemed to be three positions on the pto control...one was neutral, one was on, not sure what the other setting is for, but the gentleman I am getting the tractor from said it was a stop position...that if you had the mower running and pushed it all the way forward it acted like a pto brake?
Thanks

/ Newbie getting a 250 #5  
enfuego said:
Thanks for the replies. I did get on the tractor last night, it seemed that the clutch wasn't completely working. It would operate the transmission fine, but the pto could only be engaged when the tractor was off.....any suggestions about this issue? Also, there seemed to be three positions on the pto control...one was neutral, one was on, not sure what the other setting is for, but the gentleman I am getting the tractor from said it was a stop position...that if you had the mower running and pushed it all the way forward it acted like a pto brake?
Thanks

Sounds like the PTO clutch is out of adjustment. Simple procedure explained in the service manual.

All the way forward will be GROUND SPEED PTO. The pto turns in relation to rear wheel speed and NOT engine speed. I would HIGHLY recommend NOT pushing it from ENGINE PTO (rear position) to GROUND SPEED PTO (forward position) with engine running/pto in gear. Exploding gears don't sound good :eek:

Last edited:
   / Newbie getting a 250
Farmwithjunk said:
Sounds like the PTO clutch is out of adjustment. Simple procedure explained in the service manual.

All the way forward will be GROUND SPEED PTO. The pto turns in relation to rear wheel speed and NOT engine speed. I would HIGHLY recommend NOT pushing it from ENGINE PTO (rear position) to GROUND SPEED PTO (forward position) Exploding gears don't sound good :eek:
Great info! Thanks!! I did get a service manual with the tractor..Hopefully I will have it in tip top condition soon! Sure there will be many questions to follow..........