Snapped Filter-Tranny Cover-DYI?

/ Snapped Filter-Tranny Cover-DYI? #1  

timbrehse

Bronze Member
OK - I know I'm an idiot for not installing the Filter Guard Kit.
The short of it:
My neighbor (a pro operator) was,thankfully, unhurt.
If not for a large tree that stopped him, this would be a completely different and tragic story.
Took mine & another neighbor's 4x4 p/u's, 100 ft of HD lift chain, and a come-along (as a fail-safe) to drag my 2310 back up the embankment ... in a monsoon yesterday.
As for damage: besides a bent brake lever arm on the rt. side and some scars on the drive shaft (doesn't look bent)
It's the snapped off hydro filter syndrome.
We're all aware MF's design brain-trusts not only located it in an extremely vulnerable position,
but designed it not as a having a replaceable nipple, but as part of the tranny's frnt cover.
Thanks to a previous post by MFRED, I have the pt #'s for the cover & O rings - About $400. from Jack's Small Engines. I have the Shop Manual & I have a little better than intermediate mechanic's skills - worked on cars since I was a kid (55 now).
It seems pretty straight ahead: pull Input Shaft then the Hydrostat Assembly then Fnt Tranny Cover....
Anybody out there DIY this? Any "watch out for..." or "The manual doesn't tell you this but...."

/ Snapped Filter-Tranny Cover-DYI? #2  
Hello,You are very lucky.
Rusty

/ Snapped Filter-Tranny Cover-DYI?
Well I was only lucky in that I didn't loose my machine
My neighbor was lucky he didn't loose a lot more.
Just one of those things ... he's been a pro operator for decades.
Seeing someone like that work is like watching a combo of fighter pilot & ballet.
But instinct in that split second, he went for that useless parking brake peddle. And instead, as we've all done at one time or another, he missed and slammed the Hydro peddle into forward. He did have the presence of mind to aim for a big tree that stopped him from tumbling down a deep ravine. Saved himself & my machine.
I love my machine but that (parking) brake peddle location is one of many F'd up design flaws that I understand have been corrected in the newer models.
Now I have to deal w/another ... replace the tranny front cover ... and install the filter skid plate.

/ Snapped Filter-Tranny Cover-DYI? #4  
My neighbor had same thing happpen but he also bent the frame. He paid the deductible and had tractor insurance fix it. He might have had additional damage as the machine was ran out of fluild before they found the problem. Hope your fix is not as bad. The 2310 is a light machine and can take off pretty quick,I've been there. The filter guard might require drilling and can cost as much as 150.00 depending on the dealer. I find the neutral position on rocker pedal on machine stops it quicker then the brake. I had to pay attention on mine ,sometmes the rocker would stick in forward gear,had to return it with my foot. I since traded up to a larger M/F. plowking

/ Snapped Filter-Tranny Cover-DYI? #5  
If front cover isn't badly damaged (only the stem) you can drill in tap hole for filter and install Kubota p/n 15241-32290 pipe joint. This can be done with cover in place. This will let you re use the MF filter. Be careful not to get filings into the transmission or the front cover will be the least of your worries.

/ Snapped Filter-Tranny Cover-DYI? #6  
jeepcj7 said:
If front cover isn't badly damaged (only the stem) you can drill in tap hole for filter and install Kubota p/n 15241-32290 pipe joint. This can be done with cover in place. This will let you re use the MF filter. Be careful not to get filings into the transmission or the front cover will be the least of your worries.

Please tell me how you would drill the cover in place, and not get filings in the trans.

/ Snapped Filter-Tranny Cover-DYI? #7  
Put some grease on the drill end, Take out the plugs on the bottom & use a vaccum. Then rinse it good with brekleen or such. I put it on the lift & boy, make sure you drill square. Less than an hour.

/ Snapped Filter-Tranny Cover-DYI? #8  
What does Kubota p/n 15241-32290 pipe joint look like? Is it threaded in with loctite or bolted on?

/ Snapped Filter-Tranny Cover-DYI? #9  
It looks like a male to male union or coupler. It has male threads on both ends of different diameter and wrench flats in the middle. Need to grind down the old stem flush with the hosing, then tap threads thru the hole. The filter screws on to the other end.

/ Snapped Filter-Tranny Cover-DYI? #10  
MFRed - I take it you repaires one with the same parts?