Is High gear useful at all for plowing?

/ Is High gear useful at all for plowing? #1  
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC2310
My Massey started off as a search for a back-up for a small garden tractor. The little fella was doing all the mowing and has a front blade & blower that has held up it's end of the deal marvelously clearing snow on my 1/5 mile drive. But it was asking a lot of it.

The ONLY complaint I had with my little tractor was the limited top end speed. Could not plane the snow off the blade at 4 or 5 mph. So, one of the main selling points (for me) in getting the Massey over the BX's and Deere's of the world was the higher top speed (9.1 mph).

I don't put her in High often, mostly back and forth from the house but she quickly tells me about it when I do and actually try to do something. Every bump, incline, or strain and I'm like "WOOPS" and throw her in low. And this is at full throttle.

The drop off of power between high and low gear is HUGE in comparison between these two rigs (23 HP Diesel wHydro / 19 HP Gas w6-speed). Now I'm thinking that high gear might not be usable at all for plowing. So I'm actaully going to be moving slower (Massey Low Range is 0 - 4.6)?

Seems like if I put chains on that she'll have trouble pushing much more than a couple inches in High. Am I wrong? Does anyone plow in High on long gravel drives? Should I even be thinking about getting chains?

Can folks share their snow plowing experience with this machine?

Learing from you guys is much cheaper than learning from trial and error :D

Thanks!

/ Is High gear useful at all for plowing? #2  
I have a 2310. I plow a long, (300+ ft.), gravel drive in low 4wd, with turfs, no chains. I use a 6 foot wide plow. 3-5 foot drifts are very common in my area. With the plow angled, I can move deep snow no problem.

Plowing in high range is probably not a good idea. You will likely lug the engine, and that is bad.

Chains on gravel, seem to be good for moving the gravel up into the snow, so you can plow it away. If you want the gravel to stay in place, I suggest you don't use them.

My plow has also been modified by adding casters that hold it 2" off the ground to keep the gravel in place. Search TBN for GC 2310 Snow Plow, (search entire posts option), for photos

Last edited:
   / Is High gear useful at all for plowing? #3  
I almost never use High for anything. I think maybe once or twice I used it in 2.5 years and that was just to drive quickly from one place to another on level ground with out any load on it , that's it.

DEWFPO

/ Is High gear useful at all for plowing? #4  
DEWFPO said:
I almost never use High for anything. I think maybe once or twice I used it in 2.5 years and that was just to drive quickly from one place to another on level ground with out any load on it , that's it.

DEWFPO

You need to come down here on level ground with the rest of us. :D

/ Is High gear useful at all for plowing?
Thanks for the info guys.

Without chains on my little GT (2wd, no differential), it was useless in the snow. But to it's credit, even with the chains on it never run out of power before it ran out of traction. Wheels always broke free first and that was in 6th gear (3 high).

I learned quickly that with an increase in speed, the snow gets thrown much farther out to the side and up. Moving along at 3 or 4 miles per hour and all I am really doing is snow "dozing" work.

I just assumed with this bigger & heavier machine that I could take a bigger bite and at a higher speed than my little GT.

Not what I wanted to hear. but it is, what it is, I suppose.

/ Is High gear useful at all for plowing? #7  
I plow in high range most of the time. Any grades that I have are paved though. The unfilled ag tires always break free before the engine lugs down. I'm running an FEL and a 6' backblade.

A three range transaxle would be absolutely great. There's just too large of a speed and power gap between high and low.

Do you run with chains?
Since I've invested in the machine and front blade already I'm going to give it a try either way.

Running with loaded rears. Think I going to need chains...as I'm going to avoid 4wd as much as possilbe to keep the max power to the wheels.

Tossed up if I should leave the rear blower in the garage while plowing or use it for additional ballast?

Here in New Hampshire snow season is roughly 1/2 the year :rolleyes: and plowing is so much faster than blowing. That's why I'd prefer to use the front blade as much as possible.

Thanks for the input

/ Is High gear useful at all for plowing? #9  
nh_husky_driver said:
I'm going to avoid 4wd as much as possilbe to keep the max power to the wheels.

Can you say more about the above statement, I don't think I understand what you are trying to say.

DEWFPO

Isn't that right?

I assumed that in 2wd all available power is sent to the trasmission that sends this to the rear wheels. When I put it in 4wd, that power would be split by some ratio between front/rear.

My assumption is that some loss accurs when you do this, so to get the most power I should avoid that.

Or do I have it backwards? Don't really understanding the "logging" engine comments. Just trying to understand the best way.