Changing 3-pt linkage strainer

/ Changing 3-pt linkage strainer #1  

Jordanbear

I just got the light on my 451 indicating the 3-pt hydraulic strainer needs a change/clean.

I did the change at 100 hours per the book, and then the book says "every 1000 hours".

The tractor is just below 500 hours now.

When I called the dealership the guy said "oh that has to happen every 100 hours".

Why the 10-fold discrepancy??

And since I think this is is a $600-700 service (which is why I did it myself at 100 hours) I'm thinking every 100 hours (once year for me) is a bit much.

If it needs doing, it needs doing, but it's a giant PITA b/c you have to drain out the entire transmission.

Opinions?

/ Changing 3-pt linkage strainer #2  
I didn't realize that my 4243 had that screen on it and didn't clean it until the tractor had over 1500 hrs on it.:eek: Somehow I missed that one in the book. I cleaned everything and changed out the fluid at that time. My book says 1000 hrs also. Depending on how often you use the 3 pt and the working conditions I suppose it could need cleaned more often, but 100 hrs seems pretty excessive. The way MF puts that strainer in the bottom of the case, draining is the only way that I know of that you can clean it.

/ Changing 3-pt linkage strainer
On the phone, briefly, the dealership said 100hours, because in a climate like NH where it's wet/dry/wet/dry (or this summer, just wet) condensation gets into the system causing rust.

Hmmmmm. I suppose since there is a dipstick and a filler intake it's not an entirely closed system, but there's a lot of oil in there.

The tractor's been outside for a couple of weeks since I've been trying to make hay and it's been rained on a lot.

Usually it's inside when I'm not using it. He said it's OK to use it, and the light ought to go off after a while - I only tedded for 15 minutes today, then it began to rain. Again.

So it may never have really warmed up.

I'll check in with the dealership tomorrow. And my feed guy who has the same tractor.