MF 6180 Power Shift Problems

/ MF 6180 Power Shift Problems #1  

can hay producer

We bought a MF 6180 used at auction with app. 1400 hours on it, we've been quite happy with it but sometimes it jumps through the power shift on its own. If you shift from C to B it sometimes doesn't go right away and then on its on it jumps to B then back to C then back to B. It goes D to C consistently but seems to have more problems C- B- A.

/ MF 6180 Power Shift Problems #2  
Did those older tractors have the Autodrive option? It sounds like that's what the tractor is doing. Does it shift up or down with engine RPM? Do you have a book?

/ MF 6180 Power Shift Problems #3  
You can also try here for answers since that is a rather big tractor.

AgTalk Home

/ MF 6180 Power Shift Problems #4  
Sounds like the A,B,C,D shifter A.K.A Dynashift lever needs to be replaced. It has 4 micro switches inside that send signal to the auto 2 box to switch at the solenoids on the right hand side of the transmission.

Usually they are slow in selecting a gear,.. say if you go from B, to C,.. it will stay in B, while in C, then you have to switch it back to B, then C. Or if you go from A to D,.. it will switch up to C,.. then stay there,.. and you have to downshift for it to upshift.

/ MF 6180 Power Shift Problems
The book mentions that the tractor will shift on its own ,but doesn't do it with consistency to the point where I think it is doing it correctly, it seems to like going from D to C but when you move C -B-A it gives us trouble.

/ MF 6180 Power Shift Problems #6  
My first guess would be the switches in the electric shift. Second would be the hydraulic filters. I'm not sure which tranny was in the 6180 but my 5455 with the Dyna 4 has a seperate high pressure filter for the shift.

/ MF 6180 Power Shift Problems
Took it to Massey , they put a "computer kit " update on it and it seems to work fine. We hauled corn with it last few days and it worked really well.

/ MF 6180 Power Shift Problems #8  
we had this problem and when we got the dealer to come and have a look it turned out to be grit in the connections of the dynashift block at the front of the tractor

/ MF 6180 Power Shift Problems #9  
The problem is a bad ground on the computer box itself. We had the same problem with our 6180. What happens is the system is designed to do a self check every time the tractor is started, Shift ABCD, then go back to what ever gear the tractor was shut off in. When the ground is faulty, it simulates shutting down the tractor, so, the computer is fooled into thinking that the tractor was shut off and does the self check all over again and again etc. Replacing the computer will fix the problem but all You need to do is take a short piece of wire ground one end and put the other end on one of the computer mounting bolts. Had this problem 2 years ago, drove me and an inexperienced young mechanic crazy for 3 days, made a call to another dealership (Dey's Equipment Centre) and had an answer over the phone in a minute. Worked fine ever since.

/ MF 6180 Power Shift Problems #10  
Hello everyone I'm new to the site....I am looking at purchasing a MF 6180 MFWD. The ad says it has a 32 speed powershift transmission. It also has a MF 1048 loader on it. It will be used primarily for loading hay & WDG's into a TMR mixer. Just wondering what people's opinions on this tractor & transmission were. I don't know anything about them. We have always run "green" but I like the looks of this 6180. Is it easy to navigate between Forward and Reverse?........as I wlll be pulling up to and backing away from the mixer frequently. How versatile and tough are they? Any information you all can share with me would be helpful and greatyly appreciated. Thank You.