Oil & Fuel Oil change time...... Advice

/ Oil change time...... Advice #1  

madhatter

Gold Member
Tractor
2015 Massey GC1710
I changed all my oil in my 2310 at 50 hours, but because I am fussy am going to change the fluids again at 125 hours. Question I have... I am switching to AMSOIL in engine and hydro/tranny but am wondering how to drain ALL permatron out of hoe/bucket rams ??? I know it compatible with permatron oil, but how do you do a COMPLETE change ??? ( rams will still have oil in them, extended or not ) Switching to AMS grease as well btw.... Any advice ???? :confused:

/ Oil change time...... Advice #2  
I don't think it is possible to switch 100% (well, unless you do a complete break down of the unit or remove each fluid line to drain all hoses/rams)... It would be more toward many fluid changes to get the "old" stuff out. IMO, it wont matter, the little that would remain isn't going to degrade your new fluid.

/ Oil change time...... Advice #3  
Retract all the cylinders, disconnect all the hoses, bout as good as you can do.

I'd be less fussy and let it go longer since it's not needed at 75 hours. Hydraulics is a pretty closed system so the oil remains pretty clean with normal use. Change the engine oil more often if you like. JMHO

/ Oil change time...... Advice #4  
I changed mine over to AMSOIL at the 50 hour service, but didn't worry about what was in the various lines/cylinders. I figure that with about 3 gallons of new AMSOIL, the few ounces I didn't get won't be an issue.

By the time I get 1,000 hours, and have done a few more changes, it will be 99 & 44/100% AMSOIL. :rolleyes:

That's good enough for me. :D

Jay

Wish I had remembered to get some of their grease when I ordered the oils. I'll have to put that on my list for the next order....

/ Oil change time...... Advice
Ya you are prob. right, the amount of permatron left is pretty small. Pulled my suction filter as well, it was actually very clean which is a good sign. Only issue I have to look into is why my hydro pedal seems to be not returning to center ( i have to tap the opposite direction to get the tractor to stop ) greased the zerk so that is not the issue, strange....

/ Oil change time...... Advice #6  
Seems like I read about someone else who had a similar experience after switching to AMSOIL and attributed it to the lower resistance of the new oil. I'm not an oil expert and did not have that experience with mine, but it seems like he talked about making a pedal adjustment that took care of the issue.

Jay

/ Oil change time...... Advice
Seems like I read about someone else who had a similar experience after switching to AMSOIL and attributed it to the lower resistance of the new oil. I'm not an oil expert and did not have that experience with mine, but it seems like he talked about making a pedal adjustment that took care of the issue.

Jay

Actually I have not filled with the AMSOIL yet, as my dealer sold me the wrong filter, so will add the oil this weekend, so my pedal issue has nothing to do with the AMSOIL ( as there is none yet :D ) May be as simple an adjustment.

/ Oil change time...... Advice #8  
Seems like I read about someone else who had a similar experience after switching to AMSOIL and attributed it to the lower resistance of the new oil.
Jay

Some people convince themselves of all kind of things. I have read about engines having more power, and running much smoother.

The fact is that there is not enough difference, in normal operating temperatures, for any performance differences to be noticeable. That is why Amsoil does not make the same claims.

The only actual proven, advertised difference found to be in Amsoil ATH, is wet braking systems are noticeably quieter.

I use Amsoil in my 2310, (among other things), and nothing performance wise, has ever changed.

/ Oil change time...... Advice #9  
Some people convince themselves of all kind of things. I have read about engines having more power, and running much smoother.

The fact is that there is not enough difference, in normal operating temperatures, for any performance differences to be noticeable. That is why Amsoil does not make the same claims.

The only actual proven, advertised difference found to be in Amsoil ATH, is wet braking systems are noticeably quieter.

I use Amsoil in my 2310, (among other things), and nothing performance wise, has ever changed.

I can't say that I've noticed any performance differences in my tractor, but when I first started using AMSOIL, I had a diesel VW and had put enough miles on it that I knew the car *very* well. The first day the oil and transmission oils were changed, I noticed that the car idled a bit higher and shifted a bit easier (actually I have experienced the latter in my Harley, too).

I've never kept a detailed log of fuel mileage, so can't attest to those changes.

I use it because I like it - especially in the winter - and I use it in every internal combustion engine I own.

Jay