231 Massey Ferguson Original Seat

/ 231 Massey Ferguson Original Seat #1  

Travis_R

Veteran Member
Tractor
'98 MASSEY FERGUSON 231
I am Looking for the original seat for a 231 Massey Ferguson. It almost like a pan style, but has a small back rest on it and has NO suspension. The material that you sit on is Grey/ the metal is black. The seat belt bolts on to the side of it. I got some info off a decal off the back of the seat that was on my uncle's 231. The seat was manufactured by "Grammer Seat, S32-MF, TYPE 130441". That is the only information on the seat that I could find. Does anybody out there know where I can find this?? I know I can get an aftermarket suspension seat, but thats not what I am looking for. They're not 'original'.

Thanks,
Travis R

/ 231 Massey Ferguson Original Seat #2  
Travis,
Check with your dealer for the parts that you need such as covers and cushions. That seat was used on so many tractors they will more than likely have them in the factory version as well as after factory.

/ 231 Massey Ferguson Original Seat
Thanks, Jerry. Yeah Im gonna call the dealer and see what they can come up with. I thought I called them last year sometimes about it and they said that they didn't make that seat anymore?? I don't remember though. I have the black spring cushion seat that works very good, but its not what I want on my tractor. Some say i'm crazy for wanting the "old" seat but I don't care what they think. Its for my use- not theirs. I have used my uncle's tractor with the original seat and liked it alot. I love the "low profile" feel. Just had a little trouble operating the brake pedals!
Thakns again.

IF THERE ARE ANY DEALERS ON HERE WHO HAS/CAN GET THE SEAT I AM REFERING TO, PLEASE REPLY TO THIS THREAD OR SEND ME AN E-MAIL. I NEED THE COMPLETE SEAT INCLUDING THE PAN, CUSHION, VINYL, AND MOUNTING BOLTS. THANK YOU.

Last edited:
Will,
Thanks for the reply. I sure haven't had any luck. I called 4 or 5 tractor salvage yards too. That particular Grammer seat is no longer in production and from the info I have gathered it seems as the front rim I'm refering to isn't either.Thats just my luck. Do you have anything in mind??
Thanks,
Travis

/ 231 Massey Ferguson Original Seat #6  
Will,
Thanks for the reply. I sure haven't had any luck. I called 4 or 5 tractor salvage yards too. That particular Grammer seat is no longer in production and from the info I have gathered it seems as the front rim I'm refering to isn't either.Thats just my luck. Do you have anything in mind??
Thanks,
Travis

Front rim?? Any competent dealer would know that they can get aftermarket ones. Companies like Unverferth are still producing them. We got 2 replacement front rims for our 1959 MF(FE) 35 late last year.

TSC can also get them for you.

I will check the MF site for you if you want an MF part number. Will post it tomorrow.

Take care,

Will

Will,
I have a front rim on my tractor with nothing wrong with it, and a brand new spare one in my shed. But its not original. I don't want it on my tractor. The rim I'm looking for looks like a circle with a square in the middle of it, which is welded at all 4 corners. Thats the best description I can give.
I ordered the new rim that I have using an MF part number. They sent me a "car-like" rim. It is the rim that went on the "early" production model 231 tractors.

As for the seat, looks like I'm gonna have to get the darn aftermarket pan. Its $129.00 with NO cushion or grey vinyl!! I found a place who will cover the new pan for me for $140.00. They specialize in re-covering seats. I really don't wanna go that route, but it looks like I may have to.
Heck, I'd even buy an original seat that needs re-covering!! I SURE WISH MF OR GRAMMER WOULD RE-PRODUCE THIS SEAT!!

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• MF231 Original Seat.jpg
    MF231 Original Seat.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 2,007
Last edited:
I finally did it! Ihave been a member on here for alittle over 5 years now and have just posted my first picture. Bout time I learned how to do it, uh?

I still have not found an original seat or an original front rim for my tractor. Anybody out there know where these items may be? I sure would appreciate it if somebody could point me in the right direction. The dealers I've spoken to can not help me because these items are no longer available from Massey.

Travis R