Hub to axle seal job complete on a 1533, Photos

/ Hub to axle seal job complete on a 1533, Photos #1  

MrSteve

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 2025R
EDIT... Photos that are missing are on page 8, posted 3-31-2021

I had a leaking seal on my pass side front hub to axle and I did the job today. I thought I would post some photos to maybe help others with this job. Looking for info on the net to help me out (I never did this job before) wasn't easy, there is nothing about the 1533.

So to the photos, if you have any questions please ask. I "think" I added the words needed to explain each photo.

Parts needed.

Lower cap seal #3758152M1
Hub to axle seal #6240892M91
2gal of Hydraulic fluid
Cotter pin (for tie rod nut)

21835hubsealjob1.JPG

21835hubsealjob2.JPG

21835hubsealjob3.JPG

21835hubsealjob4.JPG

21835hubsealjob5.JPG

21835hubsealjob6.JPG

21835hubsealjob7.JPG

21835hubsealjob8.JPG

21835hubsealjob9.JPG

Hammer, screw driver, 9/16 wrench, 5/8 wrench, pliers, Snap ring pliers (9" or longer, any shorter will not do), impact gun (if your lazy like me for taking off the wheel) with 24mm socket. The tape is there to give a size measurement, its open to 18".
21835hubsealjob10.JPG

Last edited:
   / Hub to axle seal job complete on a 1533, Photos #2  
Thanks for all the info MrSteve. Did the seal fail all of a sudden, a small leak that became worse, or did you just notice it leaking one day? And how many hours do you have on your tractor?

You showed evertyhing very well. I'd probably even try it on mine. After I printed what you did, though. Thanks.

/ Hub to axle seal job complete on a 1533, Photos
Thanks for all the info MrSteve. Did the seal fail all of a sudden, a small leak that became worse, or did you just notice it leaking one day? And how many hours do you have on your tractor?

You showed evertyhing very well. I'd probably even try it on mine. After I printed what you did, though. Thanks.

Yes I would have to say "all of a sudden". I was cutting grass and seen a "fluid blow out" on my right side tire, lucky I was cutting grass, because I was looking down in that area following my cut line. I was hoping it was a pressure blow out, as in, pressure built up by heat (because the front axle has no vent, I believe). Check and filled and all seemed fine, but as soon as the seal got warm it started leaking again. The leak was like a drip every 3 seconds or so, yes a small leak, but a leak is a leak.

The leak started at about 300hrs.

The job isn't that hard when you "find" the info to do it, if like me you never have done this type of job. It took about 2hrs, 1 1/2 hours for the job and the 1/2hr was the time finding the tools I needed and clean up after. If I have to do it again, I think I could get it done in no more then 1hr start to clean up.

NOTE TO ADD TO MY 1ST POST ABOVE...One thing I didn't say about the seal above and I hope it is noticed in this post... The seal is a 2 piece design. When dropping the hub, the one piece will stay on the axle, you must "slowly" work that seal off because it is a tight fit over a polished machined surface.

Parts cost from my dealer were, $28 for the seal and $10 for the bottom cap seal.

Here is the thread where I was asking for help for the repair. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...28574-swivel-housing-seal-leaking-1533-a.html

/ Hub to axle seal job complete on a 1533, Photos #4  
While Im sorry your tractor started this, the timing is good. I just noticed that my 1428 started leaking in the same place yesterday. FYI My tractor is 4 years old and has only 200 hrs on it. It sat up for about 2 years and I think that the seal may have hardened in that time. Your tractor and mine's housing looks similar so It doesnt look to be to hard of a job.

I'm happy the timing was good... I try my best to help everyone out the best I can and this thread looks as if it has helped someone.

Not a bad job at all... My dealer wanted $150 to do the job.

if you need anything, make sure you make a post.

/ Hub to axle seal job complete on a 1533, Photos #6  
Mines doing the same thing on the same side. I put more fluid in and no leaks yet, but we'll see what happens.....

Thanks for the post!

/ Hub to axle seal job complete on a 1533, Photos #7  
Thanks for the post MrSteve i have a 1433 and the dealer did the seals once around the 300hrs mark under warr. the warr is now up and i will have do my seals both sides. The leaks aren't to bad yet. but i will be keeping an eye on them.

Shane

/ Hub to axle seal job complete on a 1533, Photos #8  
Thanks for the post MrSteve i have a 1433 and the dealer did the seals once around the 300hrs mark under warr. the warr is now up and i will have do my seals both sides. The leaks aren't to bad yet. but i will be keeping an eye on them.

Shane

I am assuming your warranty ran out on time, not hours?? If this happens to us @ 300 hours, that could be this time next year.

Yes the warranty ran out, my tractor was bought when there was only a 2 year. If I understand correctly there is now a 3 year?

rtdiggr.. Happy it could help you out.

stinkieb... Not worth it, change her out, you could leek to nothing and not know it and do $1,000s in damage.

/ Hub to axle seal job complete on a 1533, Photos #10  
Thanks for clear instructions. I found the job fairly easy to do. Thanks again.....