MF 124 baler breaking string

/ MF 124 baler breaking string #1  

muck63080

Hi, I have a MF 124 baler that keeps breaking the string. We turned the baler by hand and I watched the needle come up with the string, the knotter grabbed and tied the string. When the needle proceeded to descend it went about 6 inches from the knotter and the string in the eye of the needle broke almost like someone cut it with a knife. I checked and found no rough edgesin the eye. The eye seemed smooth. This happens with new string. The string doesn't appear to be getting hung up on anything that i can tell. Any suggestions? Thanks.

/ MF 124 baler breaking string #2  
Sounds like the needle is misthreaded (check the manual for the proper path), or the twine box pullout tension is way too tight. Also, needles usually have some small pulley-like wheels at the ends, These wear out after a while. If the twine is caught between the guide wheel and the needle, it will get caught/pinched and the needle extraction will break it. As you run it thru by hand, check the pull force just before it would break. It should only be about 15 pounds.

/ MF 124 baler breaking string
The needle is threaded correctly. I checked the string tension and it seemed fine, also. I even tried running the string through the other tension spring and it didn't make any difference. I compared the path with the good needle and everything seemed the same. It could be the pulley in the eye of the needle. Is there a good site to order parts for this baler?

/ MF 124 baler breaking string #4  
Do you have a good local Massey dealer? I have that same baler, though I'm a complete newbie to haying. I spoke to my dealer and they said parts are still available, though I haven't needed any yet. The small rollers in the tips of the needles on mine, have grooves worn in them, though no problems yet. Do you have a helper that can turn the flywheel manually while you watch? I've done that for a friend on his old NH baler and it helped us identify a knotter problem.

I had someone turn it by hand and that's how we limited the problem to the needle eye. My eye is worn also with a groove and that maybe the problem although it seems to slide through with no difficulty. I think those needles are pretty common so I may just replace them.

/ MF 124 baler breaking string #6  
My 124 was also breaking one of the twines almost constantly. The problem turned out to be a slightly rusty groove worn into the tension plate on the front of the twine box. I ground the inside of the tension plate flat and shiny and once the tension was reset the problem cleared up completely. The needles are so worn that the rollers are barely recognizable but it hasn't broken the twine or missed a tie for hundreds of bales... keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks cjhale,

I'll take a look at that. Was your string breaking consistently at the eye of the needle though? That's where mine breaks every time.