stuck in reverse

/ stuck in reverse #1  

mark christie

Hello,
I have a MF165 and it is now stuck in reverse gear. It is often a little sticky coming out of reverse and this time it seems to have gone part way towards neutral and seized there. I am unable to move it back, forward or sideways. Has anyone else had this trouble and do you have any suggestions on how to get it out. Thanks in advance.
Mark Christie

/ stuck in reverse #2  
Drove a old MF 50 that did this occasionally.

The 'indention rod' (?) between first/reverse and second/third shift fork was wore out.
(the rod that kept the 2 forks from engaging at the same time)

To fix, I'd pull shift lever out and manually move both shift forks to the neutral positions.

Might be the same thing wrong with yours.

/ stuck in reverse #3  
Here is a copy of a reply to the same problem from "Big Dean"

Getting the main shift lever unstuck
Pull your filler plug for the transmission look inside you will see a big gear. Find a level spot shut off the tractor. Push the clutch down & put the high low shifter in neutral to relieve any pressure that might be on the gears. With a long screwdriver or a small pry bar pry the big gear forward if it is hung in reverse. Pry it back if it is hung in first gear. If you happen to go to far it will go in the other gear. You need to get it in the center. You should be able to feel the detent balls pop in the grooves in the shift rail as you move the gear. Through the years I have probably unstuck at least a 1000 of them this way. It is a common problem on the Massey tractors after they get a little wear on them

/ stuck in reverse #4  
The FILLER hole !, NOW I remember.

Good gosh, it's been 35+ yrs.

/ stuck in reverse #5  
Hey MODS,

Would it be possible to put a 'sticky' at the top of the MF section with info like this, posted from Big Dean for example, on simple repairs like this??

/ stuck in reverse
Thank you one and all. I love this old machine and it makes my life so much easier. Happy to have it running again with your help.

Mark Christie

/ stuck in reverse #7  
Mark, to help prevent this happening again, get into the habit of shifting
with the palm of your hand and not lifting up on the shifter :)