Massey 1529 or 1532

/ Massey 1529 or 1532 #11  
I purchased my 1532 for $19000 Canadian last May plus 13% tax. But the Canadian Dollar was strong against the US then and the exchange rate was only 5%.... If you are in Canada I would expect the prices you are quoting.

We have all debated which tractor to buy. I went through several iterations of tractors until I settled on The 1532. Basically, my dream tractor was a 1533 with cab, hydrostatic, loader,R4's, skid steer quick attach, and dual rear remotes but that was $35000 with the taxes... too rich for my limited use. The same optioned 1533 without cab was still $27000 and I thought it was still too much. The dealer had a 1532 synchroshuttle with L100 loader that he added the pin style quick attach to for the above price that I decided to buy.
I don't regret the decision. I have made pallett forks for the pin style quick attach and they work great. A snow plow is in the future too.

I would recommend for your application---1532 with R1's and chains, pin style quick attach and a third function valve on the loader so you can add a 4 in 1 bucket or grapple to help you pick up the pieces of remaining logs.

Keep in mind that when people talk about Hp with a tractor they are referring ultimately to the PTO. If you are not going to use the rear PTO to drive implements then the next important factor is loader capacity. The 1532 has 27 HP at the PTO and I am using an 80" rear snowblower on it with great success. The heavy wet plow drifts at the end of my drive give the 1532 a work out but hasn't stopped it yet!
Check out some of the implement brochures you may wish to use in the future and see how much HP they need to drive them.

We all have a tendency to look for the biggest and the best when in reality we could probably get along with "the little engine that could". Let's face it tractor work is slow and steady and we all do it to escape reality and relief some stress so why rush it?

/ Massey 1529 or 1532 #12  
well here's my 2 cents.

i just bought a 1532 (w/L100, 9x3 const mesh, loaded R4's) 3 weeks ago for $16,500. the lifting capacity of the L100 was a real issue for me and i really wanted the 1533, but it was $4k more and i didnt want to spent that much. i haven't been able to put many hours on it yet, b/c it has been raining so much here (northern alabama), but the first test of tearing out a stump (6" cedar) was pretty disappointing. tractor was too light to push it and loader was too weak to dig it. but i do have a woods backhoe (w/thumb) on the way, so i am hoping that will help some. if you do go with the 1532, you may want to look into a Woods loader, they have better capacity than L100. my only other issue with it is that i just dont like the transmission at all! i know, i got what i paid for, but it is 'clunky' and even though i am not doing a ton of loader work, it is a real pain in the butt! (i'm actually thinking about seeing if its too late!) the one advantage of the 1532 is that it is a little smaller than the 1533 and that is really helpful when you are weaving between trees. i've added scrapes to several of mine already!

not sure if that helps.

thanks
shawn

/ Massey 1529 or 1532 #13  
I think that stumps are a real issue no matter what tractor you have. I have seen many full size tractors and excavators struggle with stumps. I tried to dig a stump with my old 2310 and I was disappointed but then I tried with a Ford TW-10 and it still struggled. I now use a stump grinder, its not worth beating up the tractor do this.

/ Massey 1529 or 1532
Folks
UPDATE:
I spoke to my local dealer yesterday about my tractor purchase. I知 getting a 1532, 8x8 shuttle shift, L100 factory joystick FEL quick attach bucket for $19133.00.(includes 6.5% sales tax)
Massey has posted a price increase for 2009 and theyæ±*e going to introduce a new 1600 series this summer. He didn稚 have any of the specifics on the new models other than a letter from Massey announcing that they are coming out this summer. If anyone has the inside scoop on the new 1600 models let me know.

One other note, I have lots of stumps on my 80 that are about ten years old. I used a sub-soiler to cut the roots loose using a Case 300 tractor. This old reliable tractor did a great job pulling the sub-soiler. Once the stumps were loose I did the rest by hand. Thank God I知 getting a loader on my new Massey.
I'll send pic's when it arrives some time in the middle of March.

Thanks for you help

/ Massey 1529 or 1532 #15  
Congrats on your purchase, you will love it. As others have said the 1533 is a nice tractor and I did look at one when I bought my 1528 but I didn't have the justification for it at the time and still dont. No matter what I get I will have horsepower envy, I always look at the next size up and say hmmm what if ???:D There will always be something bigger but that doesn't make it practical.

/ Massey 1529 or 1532 #16  
if you do go with the 1532, you may want to look into a Woods loader, they have better capacity than L100.
not sure if that helps.

thanks
shawn

The Woods loader will not solve anything, unless Woods ships a new pump with it. The MF loader is designed and engineered around the tractor it is put on. Woods are a generic fits all loader. IMHO.

/ Massey 1529 or 1532 #17  
   / Massey 1529 or 1532 #18  
I looked at both the 1529 and the 32, bought the 1529. If you look at the specs they are the same tractor the extra hp comes from a higher rpm rating.
Mine has the 8x8 synco and the L100 loader and I love it. It's a joy to drive and use, starts good even at -30 and runs a 6" wood chipper with no problem It is just great around my 4 acre lot. As for pulling stumps a backhoe is the way to go (maybe next year). I think you will be very happy with your 1532 you can always find tasks that will require a bigger tractor, but it should handle most if not all of your requirements. I paid 18,500 CDN including 7%GST and got the 5 year 0% finance.
Frank