Thermostat installation Question - MF 1240

/ Thermostat installation Question - MF 1240 #1  

Papawoodi

I own a Massey Ferguson 1240 and was replacing the thermostat because of a cracked thermostat housing. I know the recent owner has taken out the thermostat before because he replaced the water pump. Anyway my question is does anyone have a picture diagram or instructions on which way the thermostat is suppose to go in. I know if it is upside down or not, I just don稚 know to position of it because the opening where the water goes through is off center (see pictures). I have never seen an off center thermostat before and just wanted to make sure I install everything correctly. I have been reading some of the threads because of overheating problems while pulling the brush hog and I believe it turned out to be a dirty radiator. Love the site everyone has great information.

Attachments

• DSCN1412.JPG
    DSCN1412.JPG
    859.7 KB · Views: 2,966
  • DSCN1413.JPG
    DSCN1413.JPG
    824.6 KB · Views: 1,016
   / Thermostat installation Question - MF 1240 #2  
It looks like you have it in the right direction from your picture. You also have the offset turned correctly. Do you have the o-ring?

/ Thermostat installation Question - MF 1240
Yes Sir, I bought a new o-ring with new thermostat housing. My MF shop here in town seems like they don稚 want to give much information out unless you leave you tractor with them, however they don稚 mind selling you the parts. Guess I need to buy a shop manual. Thanks for the information, its great to have a website like this with people that don稚 mind sharing ideals or knowledge.

/ Thermostat installation Question - MF 1240 #4  
Not knowing the size (length) of the lower part of the thermostat, would it even be possible to install it up side down (wrong way) without it hitting the thermostat housing?

/ Thermostat installation Question - MF 1240 #5  
The way you have it in the picture is the way I would put it. The point on the thremostat points to the direction of the water flow. The water flows from the engine to the radiator, then from the radiator to the engine. I would not be to worried about the offset, cavitation would be the only thing that could come from the offset being in the wrong place. I would just throw the thremostat in and put it back together.

/ Thermostat installation Question - MF 1240 #6  
Guess I need to buy a shop manual.
That would be money well spent. When I get a tractor, I purchase a parts manual, shop manual, engine manual, loader manual and a backhoe manual as well as the factory binder to hold them all. The parts manual helps with repairs because it helps you see how the parts go together at a different angle than the shop manual usually does. MF has the best prices for manuals of any of the larger equipment companies.