Neutral Switch

/ Neutral Switch #1  

Clemson

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 230
Can one of you enlighten me as to how the neutral switch works? The switch on my MF 230 apparently failed. At least I was able to bypass it and get the thing to crank. I removed the switch with an adjustable wrench, and it appears to be a steel ball-bearing under spring tension (??) on the bottom and a place to plug two wires on the top. The works is covered by a rubber boot. I consider this switch an essential safety item, so I need to either repair it or replace it, but I don't really know how to test it to determine if it is faulty.

/ Neutral Switch #2  
If you bypassed the switch and it started, you've already determined it's faulty.

Eugene

/ Neutral Switch
Sorry, I wasn't very clear on my question....

I actually bypassed the switch, a fair amount of wiring, and , I think, one fusible link. The Neutral Switch appears to be mechanical, and I would like to know how it is supposed to work. It has obviously been worked on before. One of the wires into it had an attached straight "lug" on the end; the other was a bare, stranded end of a wire that lead to the starter solenoid. It did not look "factory." If the wires were not making good contact into the switch, wouldn't that also cause a problem that might not be the fault of the switch?

/ Neutral Switch #4  
Check the switch with a continuity tester. It should light up with the switch in one mode and not light up in the other.

Eugene