ferguson abo-22 disc or mf model 25 disc

/ ferguson abo-22 disc or mf model 25 disc #1  

chris_moore

i believe i have a harry ferguson abo-22 disc later called the massey ferguson model 25 disc. its been in the woods over 20 yrs. i pulled it out planing on fixin it up to be usable. come to find out it has a broken spool boxing on the front gang. the part number is 662046m2. its the upper half. any clue as to where in the world i could find this part? i have searched and searched. any help would be appriciated!

thanks,
chris

/ ferguson abo-22 disc or mf model 25 disc #2  
i believe i have a harry ferguson abo-22 disc later called the massey ferguson model 25 disc. its been in the woods over 20 yrs. i pulled it out planing on fixin it up to be usable. come to find out it has a broken spool boxing on the front gang. the part number is 662046m2. its the upper half. any clue as to where in the world i could find this part? i have searched and searched. any help would be appriciated!

thanks,
chris

I just bought a Ferguson BO-22 disc about four weeks ago. It also has the wood bearings (boxing) on the axles. I was lucky. The bearings on the one I bought aren't in bad shape. I also have been looking for boxing's for spares but have had no luck yet. I have used my BO-22 a couple of times and it is well worth the trouble you may have to go through to fix it up. They don't make 'em like this anymore. I learned a lot from Farm With Junk about mine. He has a MF model 25. About the same thing but not the wood boxing.

/ ferguson abo-22 disc or mf model 25 disc
is there any way to possibly convert to a different spool and boxing or bearings without much expense? i called the mf place and gave them the part number and they said they didnt have a listing for it. have searched all over the net and cant hardly find anything for it just a few pictures...i think from searching it was made in 1950's. so that would be a reason for no results. do you know if it has a square axle or any specs? i havnt pulled it apart yet hopin to find the boxing for it.

/ ferguson abo-22 disc or mf model 25 disc #4  
is there any way to possibly convert to a different spool and boxing or bearings without much expense? i called the mf place and gave them the part number and they said they didnt have a listing for it. have searched all over the net and cant hardly find anything for it just a few pictures...i think from searching it was made in 1950's. so that would be a reason for no results. do you know if it has a square axle or any specs? i havnt pulled it apart yet hopin to find the boxing for it.

I thought about converting the spools and bearings. IMHO, if these were available, they would cost as much as a new disc. From the little research I have done it seems that having someone turn new boxing's on a wood lathe is the only option. That wouldn't be all that difficult or expensive. It's getting the dimensions that would be difficult with out a blueprint.

/ ferguson abo-22 disc or mf model 25 disc #5  
And I wonder what would be the best wood to make them from.

i think agri-supply has pastic of fiberglass bushings that may work they dont say what they are made of just the different sizes. i like the adjustments on the disc hate to just junk it but without that boxing or converting thats what it is lookin like at this point.

/ ferguson abo-22 disc or mf model 25 disc #7  
i think agri-supply has pastic of fiberglass bushings that may work they dont say what they are made of just the different sizes. i like the adjustments on the disc hate to just junk it but without that boxing or converting thats what it is lookin like at this point.

I think we are on the same page. I just got a password to get on the AGCO online parts catalog. Haven't had time to check the AGCO site out yet. There are things about this disc that makes it worthwhile. All four gangs float, it's very heavy and well made, and it is adjustable. I think the adjustability is what I like the best about it. It will flat boil the sod over when set on full cut. After the sod is turned over the disk can be adjusted to straight to smooth out a seed bed. It will be easier to find our bearings than to find another disc that works as well as this one.

/ ferguson abo-22 disc or mf model 25 disc #8  
Agri-Supply, ect, will list a "generic" boxing and spool that don't quite bolt in, but can be adapted to work. Best bet would be to replace ALL old ones with new if you go that route. Many old timers would "re-pack" those worn boxings with leather strips (with a good coating of grease)

In so far as I know, you WON'T be able to get replacements for the old ones through AGCO. They're obsolete. They MAY still have a few boxing halves (and spools) that are replacements for the #25 disc. They'll interchange, but make certain you get the proper disc spacing (spool width).

Dad used to make wood bearings from beech wood. That might be based on the fact we had a LOT of beech trees......

thanks for the info fwj! what horsepower tractor do you pull your #25 with? do you know what kind of axle is on the abo-22 round or square? is it possible to repair a broke boxing i believe it is cast...where might i find the square headed mounting bolts that fit in the boxings?

/ ferguson abo-22 disc or mf model 25 disc #10  
thanks for the info fwj! what horsepower tractor do you pull your #25 with? do you know what kind of axle is on the abo-22 round or square? is it possible to repair a broke boxing i believe it is cast...where might i find the square headed mounting bolts that fit in the boxings?

When I bought the #25 I have, it was an 8'-10" model. I pulled the axles, cut them down 7-1/2" and re-threaded the ends. Then I reinstalled them with one less spool and one less blade per gang, turning it into a 7'-8" (7'-6"?) model. I bought it to go with my Massey Ferguson 150 (avatar photo) I used it a couple times in the 8'-10" config. It gave the 150 a workout mainly from a traction standpoint. In the 7'-6" config, the 150 toys with it. Amazing that just that little bit made so much difference. The 150 has had the pump turned up a tick to where it dynos 47hp.

Axles are round, 1"dia.

I'd think a REALLY good machinist/welder could repair the boxings, but that's sorta beyond my capabilities.

Try McMaster-Carr for the square head bolts. I hear they have 'em.
Picture005.jpg

Picture011.jpg