TO-20 carburator problem??

/ TO-20 carburator problem?? #1  

buckeyepost

Bronze Member
I just bought a 1951 TO-20 and am having some trouble with the carb I think. I'm new to tractors and carburators so I'm learning this as I go. I have only beening running it about once a week and when I fire it up it starts right away but if I shut it off while mowing it takes a few more cranks to start it and last time I parked it it wouldn't start at all. After I turn the fuel on to start it I noticed gas dripping out of what appears to be where the choke cable attaches to the carb. I talked to a guy who has been working on Fergies his whole life and said it sounds like I might need some carb work, possibly rebuilt. Anyone on here have the same problem or have any suggestions for me to try before taking the carb off completely? I love this tractor so far and I want to get it running again soon. Thanks!

/ TO-20 carburator problem?? #2  
Stuck float (needle and seat)... Ever so carefully, tab on the float bowl with something soft (wood, plastic) and see if the fuel stops from coming out. BUT the best way, just remove the section of the carb where the fuel line goes in, that is where the needle and seat live, remove the float and the needle will be seen, remove it and clean the needle and the hole that it goes into. Sorry best I can do without knowing the carb.

/ TO-20 carburator problem??
Thanks! I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Good to know that it doesn't sound like it is too serious.

/ TO-20 carburator problem?? #4  
Also if you want to "try" and take the easy way out and see if it works... Just remove the fuel line from the carb and give a good shot of carb cleaner up in the opening (this is where the needle sits), then maybe that will clean it out, then maybe you wont have to remove the top of the carb. When taking the top off, it will be very possible you will break the gasket, then in turn that would have to be replaced or it would leek like made from that joint. Good luck and hope it works out for you.

EDIT... I didn't point out why things are different after the tractor is ran, the fuel gets warm/hot so expansion to the needle is making things get stuck, so when it cools off everything seems to be ok. Just giving a reason for my thought of the problem you are having.

Thanks again Mr. Steve, that is helpful info and I hope it is as easy as it sounds. Does anyone know what type of carb is on my '51 Ferguson TO-20 tractor? I was just looking at the link below and trying to figure out which one is mine....

http://www.antiquefarming.com/PDF/carburetor.pdf

Well, I took the fuel line, drain plug and needle out and shot some carb cleaner in there and it seemed to run a lot smoother after it blew all the smoke out. Idled smoother and the throttle seemed to be more responsive. But, when I would shut it off it wouldn't start back up. Took the intake hose off and no gas so it wasn't flooded. Another farmer told me to make sure the gas was turned all the way on at the sediment bowl on these tractors. I had been following what the manual said about two full turns and then when the gas ran out open all the way for the reserve. Well, we opened the it up all the way and it started and ran like a top the rest of the day. The farmer also told me that 2 1/2 turns open on the carb was about normal on these tractors, seemed like it might be a little rich to me, what do you all think?

I couldn't have told you what a carb looked like this time last week, I've learned a lot and had fun tinkering with it the last few days. Thanks for the help Mr. Steve!

/ TO-20 carburator problem?? #7  
Happy to "try" and help... I did my best, I have never worked on anything of that age.

Oooook... she ran fine for a while and now I think the carb is acting up again. It seems that the rod that controls the throttle is REALLY loose. I give it a quarter throttle and it opens up all the way real quick and floods it then dies on me. I can't even start the pto with my mower deck, just chokes it out and dies. Does this sound like I need some carb work done? Just seems like it's getting too much gas. It's getting harder to start and I don't even use the choke anymore because it floods so easily. And when it does start up for the first time it fires slowly blowing black smoke clouds out the back until it gets rid of all the unburnt fuel. It has even turned my chains black behind the exhaust. Any iders???

/ TO-20 carburator problem?? #9  
   / TO-20 carburator problem?? #10  
Well, I took the fuel line, drain plug and needle out and shot some carb cleaner in there and it seemed to run a lot smoother after it blew all the smoke out. Idled smoother and the throttle seemed to be more responsive. But, when I would shut it off it wouldn't start back up. Took the intake hose off and no gas so it wasn't flooded. Another farmer told me to make sure the gas was turned all the way on at the sediment bowl on these tractors. I had been following what the manual said about two full turns and then when the gas ran out open all the way for the reserve. Well, we opened the it up all the way and it started and ran like a top the rest of the day. The farmer also told me that 2 1/2 turns open on the carb was about normal on these tractors, seemed like it might be a little rich to me, what do you all think?

I couldn't have told you what a carb looked like this time last week, I've learned a lot and had fun tinkering with it the last few days. Thanks for the help Mr. Steve!

The normal setting for the power jet is about 1-1/4 turns (+/- 1/8 turn) out. Never go below one full turn out since this engine needs the charge cooling that occurs due to a slightly rich mixture.