Grading Question on box blade operation

/ Question on box blade operation #1  

jayp

Tractor
2005 Massey GC 2300
Is it possible to get a blade to float? I have been working on a 57 stone driveway for a few days, and not sure how to get the high spots out. The blade cuts in more in the low spots and doesn't cut as much on the high spots. Tractor rises up when i get to high ground and drops when i get in a low. Should i keep on scraping, or is there some sort of trick? Any help would be great. Thanks!

/ Question on box blade operation #2  
This is why I get the stone tailgated off the dump truck, a light raking in a few spots, and your done.

I don't know about the 3ph, I think some do float, but you can put the front bucket down flat, and drive backwards with the FEL bucket in float.

You can also work the high spots carefully until you get them close, with either the BB, or FEL, then back drag the whole drive with the FEL.

/ Question on box blade operation #3  
Raise the blade up on the low stuff..
use the loader...

It is one of those things that just takes alot of practice..

J

/ Question on box blade operation
Thats what i had done. Tail gated about 100 tons of crush and 57 stone. Had some high spots from the beginning. The first layer was 1's and 3's. I didn't want to wake up the sleeping giant. I got most of them(high spots) out but was wondering when you get the driveway close, should hand raking be next or maybe a York rake? The box works well but does not get everything super flat. Is their another option? Maybe a scraper blade on wheels? The FEL works ok, should it be folded up or down for the best results? oh, the driveway is 20' x 330'.

/ Question on box blade operation #5  
I take it you did not put down any fabric? :eek:

You really need some fine stuff to pack in between the 1's and 3's, otherwise they can hold a lot of water in the voids and then it gets muddy.

I prefer to use a mix like #304, or #411, over fabric as the base, in (3) or (4) 2" layers compacted, and cap it with #57's.

Hand raking anything bigger than #4's is murder.

Use the FEL bucket either flat, or tipped up on the edge, traveling in reverse. Float over the good parts, and the low spots, and use down pressure, and tip more, on the high spots.

/ Question on box blade operation #6  
Use the FEL bucket either flat, or tipped up on the edge, traveling in reverse. Float over the good parts, and the low spots, and use down pressure, and tip more, on the high spots.

Most LOADER companies address this in their operators manual... highly recommend using FLAT... If you tip the bucket too far under and travel in reverse with down pressure... you will bend the rams on your loader. A fully dumped bucket - extends the rams fully leaving them more vunerable to damage or in a weaker position than when they are inside the barrel. If you need more pressure when bucket is flat, fill the bucket with dirt, then back drag. You could also use the 'heel' of the bucket.

There is good info on backdragging in this thread...
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/99183-neat-trick-using-loader-box.html

Attachments

• Back Drag on bucket.jpg
    Back Drag on bucket.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 213
   / Question on box blade operation #7  
Most LOADER companies address this in their operators manual... highly recommend using FLAT... If you tip the bucket too far under and travel in reverse with down pressure... you will bend the rams on your loader. A fully dumped bucket - extends the rams fully leaving them more vunerable to damage or in a weaker position than when they are inside the barrel. If you need more pressure when bucket is flat, fill the bucket with dirt, then back drag. You could also use the 'heel' of the bucket.

There is good info on backdragging in this thread...
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/99183-neat-trick-using-loader-box.html

Agreed. I did not mean putting the bucket in the fully dumped position. It does not take long doing that, to see the FEL twisting suggesting eminent damage.

Damage can occur during any operation. The operator needs to pay careful attention to what is happening.

/ Question on box blade operation #8  
Try using the box blade with a loader bucket full of gravel. The extra weight seems to smooth out the problem with the blade digging in on the low spots in my experience (limited to my 300' gravel driveway). I also tend to wait for a rainy day, fill and backdrag the low areas. Lets you see the low spots a lot easier.

/ Question on box blade operation #9  
I think the o/p was describing Whoop Dee Doos.
If so; Yes, with time patience and practice you can get them out, but gauge wheels on the box blade make it SO much easier.

/ Question on box blade operation #10  
Agreed. I did not mean putting the bucket in the fully dumped position. It does not take long doing that, to see the FEL twisting suggesting eminent damage.

Damage can occur during any operation. The operator needs to pay careful attention to what is happening.

I'll ditto that last statement.

You didn't specify either way so I thought I would claify. I see "alot" of first time users make this mistake. :( Depending on the damage it can be a very expensive mistake.