Aftermarket Parts

/ Aftermarket Parts #1  

DJ54

Elite Member
Tractor
IH Farmall 656 gas/ IH 240 Utility/ 2, Super C Farmalls/ 2, Farmall A's/ Farmall BN/McCormick-Deering OS-6/McCormick-Deering O-4/ '36 Farmall F-12/ 480 Case hoe. '65 Ford 2000 3 cyl., 4 spd. w/3 spd Aux. Trans

Hi Guys,
Just bought my first Massey-Ferguson. A 1967 180 diesel. It does need some TLC, but overall condition is pretty decent. Engine runs great, good clutch, just some nickle dime stuff... Needs new brake discs, power steering pump seal kit, Generator rebuilt, and new voltage regulator, to start with...

For now..., I'm calling her "Bumadine"... For anyone remembering Gene Tracy, and his trucker tapes... Bumadine was double ugly... When I get the mechanical stuff done, some sheet metal replaced, and some paint, I believe I'll christen her "Sassy"...

I am going to call the MF dealer about the PS seal kit here in a bit. Just wondering about the brake discs... Has anyone ever used aftermarket disc brake parts, and have they held up well..?? Being you have to pull the axle housing to replace them, I don't really care to do it more than I have to. I found some TISCO discs pretty reasonable. I have bought items from them before, for my other tractors, and they seemed to hold up well.. But that may have been well before so much was made in China. Although I'm not sure where their parts are made. I will get a quote on the discs from the dealer though...

I did go through a dealer, and he got me hooked up with the AGCO parts book online. A pretty handy item!! I've pretty well have all my filters, by doing a part number search, and cross reference. Got some great deals on ebay..!! All are WIX, so not junk...

I also need to flush the hydraulic system. Hyd. oil has just a slight milky color to it. But I will post another thread, as may not be seen here in this thread..., and get more response...

Thanks for any replies..!!
DJ

/ Aftermarket Parts #2  
AGCO Parts offers Heritage Parts that are competively priced. Original Equipment Specs for older machines. AGCO Parts is continually adding more parts for aged Massey Ferguson machinery. They still carry the same 1 Year warranty like OEM parts just at reduced prices and better availability. Your dealer can get you a hardcopy of the Massey Ferguson Catalog for a few dollars or you can access the catalog from the AGCO Parts Website (Huge File - 342 Page PDF Document): http://www.agcoparts.agcocorp.com/fileUpload/79028752V Massey Ferguson Heritage Catalog.pdf

/ Aftermarket Parts
Hi,
Thanks for the link to the catalog... I saved it, and will use it for reference..

Did get some sticker shock on the PS seal kit..!! $118.00..!! The parts guy said I'd be better off with a new pump... How much..?? $500.00 +

Thank goodness AGCO puts the sizes of the o-rings, in the parts info. Between our local bearing place and NAPA, and my o-ring kit, I have less than $15.00, in what I hope fixes it... I did find one broken o-ring, that looked to be the culprit.

I'll try that first, before spending $500.00 on a pump.

Got a quote on brake disc's also.. $46.00 ea. He never mentioned the Heritage line of parts... Guess I'll take a chance on the TISCO disc's and see what happens. Got to be better than what is on there.

/ Aftermarket Parts #4  
Well I will say this, In my situation, I'm rebuilding my MF135 gasser perkins motor. I bought a used block from an official Perkins dealer, I also had him turn my crank and rework the rods. Also bought oem perkins gaskets from him. BUT when it came time to price piston/sleeve kits, I just about fell out when he gave me the prices. Perkins does not sell "kits" as we know them, they only sell individual motor parts. His price on just one piston was $195.00. I started to studder and got all sweaty...lol "well sir, I think I'll hold off on that for now". The Ferguson dealer had better prices than the Perkins guy, but was still high. I ended up buying a Tisco piston/sleeve kit for 299.00 (just the pistons, sleeves, rings, and wrist pins). I dont think Im going to have any problems with these aftermarket parts in particular. I think that if you stick with well known brands you should be fine. I did choose to use oem perkins main bearings and rod bearings because they were a minimal cost and the machinist matched them when he turned the crank. These days its hard to tell who is manufacturing the "OEM" parts anyway.

/ Aftermarket Parts
I understand where you're coming from.. Dad had a local mechanic rebuild the little 240 at home. He is a TISCO dealer, and used their sleeve kit. And like you, took the crank to a local shop and had the crank turned, and got the bearings from them so as to match. That was in about '79, and it still runs great. Although it doesn't get used as much since Dad passed, I still use it every year making hay. Some people make fun of me, because I have 12 tractors... All run but 3... I used to collect and show years ago. Kept the one's near and dear, and my often used ones... But it sure is handy having one for every job..!! Especially at hay time... Get everything hooked and ready to go the first day, then just jump from one to the other on the last day...

With my experience with the IH line, at times I found it was just as reasonable to get original parts on smaller items. ESPECIALLY seals..!! Seems in their infinite wisdom, they undersized them just enough, cross referenced ones were just a tad too big.. I mashed enough C-R brand cross referenced seals, to learn my lesson... Get the original, and just tap them in. Live and learn...