Oil & Fuel water in the oil

/ water in the oil #1  

gengine

Platinum Member
Greetings all. I have a 68 ish massey 165 with some sort of problem. I could have the usual suspects such as a cracked head, blown head gasket, leaking sleeve, hole in sleeve (caused by cavitation of the coolant), cracked block, or a loose head bolt. By the way, its a diesel. I dont have the serial #'s on hand nor the engine #'s, but I can get them if needed. I was wondering though, are these perkins engines wet sleeved? The thing that really makes me wonder, is I was clearing snow from a driveway, with the FEL, not stacking, but using the bucket like a plow, and the tractor over revved. I panicked and shut it down. wasn't sure what to do, started it back up, and it ran fine. I continued to work for a couple more hours, then again, it over revved. i threw the throttle to slow the engine, but no response, the rpm's were still way up there. So I pulled the kill knob, waited a couple minutes, started it and it revved way up again, so i decided it was time to go home. I had to use the kill knob half way pulled out to keep the rpm's from going nuts again so i could load on the trailer. The next day I needed the trailer to get hay, so I started the tractor, it ran normally, went to park it and there was foam coming out of the dip stick. checked the oil, it was foamy with the water mixed in, and the radiator was empty. needless to say, i drained all the oil, put fresh in, and ran for about 2 minutes, then parked. haven't started it since. Does anybody have any ideas or steps to take to get 'er back up and running. The Case 930 is a little big to do the chores that I have. The massey 165 is perfect for most of it.

/ water in the oil #2  
A parts site shows that if it has the AD4 203 Diesel, it is a wet sleeve, in the 165. You'll have to see which engine is in yours... I did a little search, and it shows they went to the 212 cu. in. engine in about '69. The AGCO parts book shows the sleeve, but no sealing rings, but then could be listed in another catagory.

I'm sure no expert on diesels, but running away gassers, ususally have something to do with the govenor.. ie: a broken spring, letting it run away.

/ water in the oil
Do you think this engine running away like that could have anything to do with the water in oil problem, either causing it or worsening an existing problem? Thanks for your speedy response!

/ water in the oil #4  
If the injection pump is lubricated by the engine oiling system then it could be possible that some of the goop is making the governor stick causing your high rev problem. As far as the coolant in the water goes the first thing I would do is find the leak. Drop the oil pan, fill the radiator and pressurize the cooling system. Look up into the underside of the cylinders and see if the coolant is comming from one of the liners.

/ water in the oil
Thanks for the reply DieselPower. I finally went and looked at all the serial numbers, and according to my book, it is a '69 with the 203 ad4 perkins engine. However, the only governor it shows is for the L.P.G. engine, and not gasser or the diesel. It also said that it was a dry sleeved engine, starting with chrome plated then switching to cast iron after s/n 2939036. Mine has a couple numbers, one is 37786240, but where it s/n is supposed to be is 50503d. However, earlier in the book, it says i have a wet sleeved engine and that i need to lube the o-rings with petroleum jelly before installing. So now I don't know what to think.

/ water in the oil
I did a little more reading, and am conident that I have dry sleeves. But, there are two kinds in the AD4 203 perkins diesel that I have, but I don't know which one. My engine s/n should be 50503D, according to location in the book, but I also pulled 37786240, and C37112210 from the engine block. Anybody have any ideas?

/ water in the oil #7  
most definetly the water disperses the oil of course the oil floats on top of the water. which puts the oil up to the rings. the engine when it runs away it's running of the oil in the base. you're lucky, what does you're kill knob do usually when you are in this situation all you can do is stop the oil flow to the engine. just shutting the fuel off will not stop it since it's also running off the engine oil. we actually had a fischer panda genset in a new boat on the production line the separating muffler was mounted too high and was putting water into the base of the engine. these gensets use kubota engines.

/ water in the oil
Got the engine mostly taken apart today. All I can find is the head gasket had one little bubble in between the layers, but that could have happenend pulling the head off. The oil pan was going to come off, but I realized it was part of the frame, so I left it alone. No time right now to completly split the tractor. I'm just hoping that my gut is right and the head gasket is my problem. As for the rpm's skyrocketing, the injector pump looks fine. I think the governor part is in the little box on top. nothing broke or out of place. almost all of the coolant was in the oil, but not a drop of oil in the coolant. I think that i am just going to replace the gaskets from the head up, (everything that I took apart), replace the hoses, they were pretty bad, and hope to heck it works. But, while I am waiting for gaskets to show up, does anyone know of anything that I should be doing to investigate further?

/ water in the oil
So it's been a few days with the tractor in peices, and everybody I talk to here at home are willing to bet anything that my problem is a blown head gasket. I just got all the gaskets in tonight, and while I'm at it, I'm replacing all the hoses, filters and gaskets. Just one questing though, do I need to put any gasket dope on the head gasket or any of the others for that matter?

/ water in the oil #10  
DO NOT put any dope on the head gasket or manifold gaskets. The gasket and surfaces must be clean and dry.