Massey Harris 50 PTO

/ Massey Harris 50 PTO #1  

avjohn

I recently purchased a Massey Harris 50, the same as a Massey Ferguson 50 just manufactured when they were still using the Harris name.

My question is as follows: My tractor has the single stage clutch, as far as I can tell, and I can't seem to engage the "engine pto" while the tractor is running. I believe this setting would be considered independent pto since the pto is always running regardless of the clutch position. So to use the "engine pto" for brush hogging I have to shut the tractor off, engage the pto, then restart the tractor. Is this normal? I would like to be able to engage the pto with the lever while the tractor is running and I'm not sure if something is out of adjustment or if I just can't do that on this model without the dual stage clutch. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

/ Massey Harris 50 PTO #2  
I recently purchased a Massey Harris 50, the same as a Massey Ferguson 50 just manufactured when they were still using the Harris name.

My question is as follows: My tractor has the single stage clutch, as far as I can tell, and I can't seem to engage the "engine pto" while the tractor is running. I believe this setting would be considered independent pto since the pto is always running regardless of the clutch position. So to use the "engine pto" for brush hogging I have to shut the tractor off, engage the pto, then restart the tractor. Is this normal? I would like to be able to engage the pto with the lever while the tractor is running and I'm not sure if something is out of adjustment or if I just can't do that on this model without the dual stage clutch. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

What you have is a clutch problem......The MH50 and the Ferguson F40 were built in 1956 and 1957. They are (were) essentially the same tractors. (different sheet metal/grill) In late '57, they were consolidated into the Massey Ferguson 50. NONE of the early models were built WITHOUT a dual stage clutch. Some late production MF50's (those with MultiPower) built in 1961 through mid 1963 were available with independent pto's, but NO MH50's were ever built w/ IPTO. You either have a pto clutch out of adjustment OR a siezed clutch.

Your definition of "independent PTO" is not correct either. IPTO would still be able to be put in/out of gear with running engine, only without involving the clutch pedal.

First thing I'd check is clutch pedal free play. TOO MUCH free play will adversly effect pto clutch. There should be a "bumper" on the clutch pedal linkage where it contacts the bellhousing. There should be NO MORE than 1/8" clearance between that bumper and the bellhousing when you first depress the clutch pedal to the point where you feel some resistance. The pedal shouldn't move much more than 1/2" before you get "feel" in the pedal.

If the PTO clutch is beyond adjustment with freeplay, you'll need to split the tractor.......

If you need, I can try to post pictures of clutch freeplay adjustment procedure.

Also.....Where are you located? Who knows? I might be able to hook you up with some local advice/help.

Last edited:
   / Massey Harris 50 PTO
Thanks a lot for the info. Any pictures would be great. I hope its just needs adjustment as I know the pedal moves a lot more than 1/2" before I get any "feel" in the pedal. Unfortunately I live in Pine River, MN so I think there's a little distance between us. Thanks again and if you could post pictures of the adjustment process it would be very helpful.

/ Massey Harris 50 PTO #4  
I'll get a few pictures and try to walk you through adjusting the free travel. Maybe a day or two....My grand daughter just gave birth to my first great grand child on tuesday, so I'm pre-occupied spoiling a child right now. ;)

/ Massey Harris 50 PTO
Well congrats on the great grandchild :) No rush at all and I sure appreciate the help and information! I sure am happy with the tractor overall, I grew up with a John Deere B but decided I needed a 3 point for my hobby farm. Any additional advice about owning, operating, maintaining my new Massey would be great also. Thanks once again!!

/ Massey Harris 50 PTO #6  
I'll shoot a few pictures today or tomorrow and pass along what I can on the pto clutch adjustment procedure. The photo's will be of my '71 MF150. The 150 is a later developement of the same family of tractors as the F40/MH50/MF50. Same clutch......

Best advice I can offer is to get ahold of the owners manual, service manual, and parts manual for that tractor. Get AGCO/MF manuals. AVoid I&T manuals. Massey manuals from them are somewhat limited in information and I've even found INCORRECT info in them.

Your tractor is a direct reflection of Harry Fergusons philosphy on tractor design.....SIMPLE. A set of manuals, a few basic tools, and just about any average mechanic can do 99% of the common repairs they'll ever need. Even the bulk of any special tools needed are easily fabricated.

One more point....MOST all the drive train components on that MH50 are the same as Ferguson TO35, MF35's Ferguson F40's and Massey Ferguson 50's. Used parts should be relatively easy to come by, should you ever need them.

/ Massey Harris 50 PTO #7  
This post just seems to have died. Anyone know if the OP got his clutch working properly?