Mowing mower deck for GC2310 or lawn tractor?

/ mower deck for GC2310 or lawn tractor? #1  

FredWalter

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 5300, Gravely 8163G, BCS735, etc
My wife wants to be able to mow the lawn when I don't have time to do it.

I don't want her trying to use what I currently use to mow the lawn - it has too many idiosyncracies (and is old and is missing the safety features that modern equipment has).

What makes more sense:
1) buy a mower deck for my GC2310
OR
2) buy a lawn tractor

WRT option 1)
- one less tractor to maintain and to store
- spend time putting on/taking off the mower deck when I want to use the tractor where I would worry about damaging the mower deck
- costs more money for a new mower deck (I can't find one used) than for a used lawn tractor

WRT option 2)
- costs less money than option 1
- don't have to fuss with putting on/taking off the mower deck from my GC2310
- one more tractor to maintain and to store

/ mower deck for GC2310 or lawn tractor? #2  
I struggled with the same issue. ended up with a 54" Mid mount mulching deck. Yes... the deck was close to the same price as a "cheap" mower, but i figured after spending a pretty penny on my 2310, why buy a separate mower when i can utilize my Massey ...? That being said, the deck is VERY well built, Being a mulch deck it was more money than a side discharge but I think mulching is the way to go. ( although I wish it had better mulching blades ) As far as mounting and dismounting.... No word of a lie, I can have it ready to roll it a few minutes, same with removing. Only you can make this choice, but I am happy with the choice I made. ( other than the blade issue, which I emailed gater blades and they said they have no blades for the Massey mowe, which was weird as they have hundres of blades ) Anyway... hope this helps and enjoy your 2310, I am !!! :)

/ mower deck for GC2310 or lawn tractor? #3  
I had the 54" mid mount mulching deck. Very well built and cut very well but putting it on and taking it was a royal PITA so I put it on in spring and left it on till winter.

DEWFPO

/ mower deck for GC2310 or lawn tractor? #4  
I decided rather than convert my BH to a lawnmower, I would buy a $3-5K mower.

I am not going to mow the lawn with the weight, and bulk, of the BH, and the FEL on. And I know that I would not want to fool around putting them both on very often. Then they would likely end up in the back of the barn, covered in all sorts of stuff, rendering them useless on the small jobs that I now enjoy doing.

/ mower deck for GC2310 or lawn tractor? #5  
Hi Fred, I have a GC2410TLB. I have had it about a month now. I went with a 54"deck with a humbolt 3 bag bagger. Deck and bagger work great. First tractor I have owned. I bought a mower stand for the Deck from the classifieds on here. I am getting better and faster at changing bagger and backhoe. After you change it you a few times it gets easier, feel like I know what I am doing now. Also taking off front bucket not a problem.

/ mower deck for GC2310 or lawn tractor? #6  
Fred,

Before I make a recommendation I have a couple of questions:

How much grass will she mow?

What is the terrain like where she will mow? Flat, hilly, rough, smooth, lots of trees?

The reason I ask is you might be much better off getting her a zero turn mower if the terrain is fairly smooth. If there are trees and other obstacles to mow around it is hard to beat a zero turn mower.

I guess the only reason I would recommend a mower deck for your GC2310 over the zero turn would be hills and rough terrain. Your wife having her own "baby" to mow with has several advantages:
Keeps hours off your GC2310
Zero turn mowers are faster when there are obstacles to mowing.
No changing of implements
Quality of cut is excellent on many zero turn mowers, mulching especially good.
Operator visibilty is better on the zero turn mower
Your wife can mow on her schedule and not need "your" tractor

The zero turn mowers have been the death of garden tractors, the primary purpose of garden tractors was mowing and the zero turns are much faster and smoother.

At the very least take her out to a dealer and look at the zero turn mowers before you make a firm decision.

Bruce

/ mower deck for GC2310 or lawn tractor? #7  
My wife wants to be able to mow the lawn when I don't have time to do it.
I don't want her trying to use what I currently use to mow the lawn - it has too many idiosyncracies (and is old and is missing the safety features that modern equipment has).
What makes more sense:
1) buy a mower deck for my GC2310
OR
2) buy a lawn tractor
WRT option 1)
- one less tractor to maintain and to store
- spend time putting on/taking off the mower deck when I want to use the tractor where I would worry about damaging the mower deck
- costs more money for a new mower deck (I can't find one used) than for a used lawn tractor
* WRT option 2)
- costs less money than option 1
- don't have to fuss with putting on/taking off the mower deck from my GC2310- one more tractor to maintain and to store

*Also in my case buying this permitted more than one person at a time to mow.

I decided rather than convert my BH to a lawnmower, I would buy a $3-5K mower.

1*I am not going to mow the lawn with the weight, and bulk, of the BH, and the FEL on. And I know that I would not want to fool around putting them both on very often. Then they would likely end up in the back of the barn, covered in all sorts of stuff, rendering them useless on the small jobs that I now enjoy doing.

1*I mow with this tractor set up like as shown here.

Fred,

Before I make a recommendation I have a couple of questions:

What is the terrain like where she will mow? Flat, hilly, rough, smooth, lots of trees?

The reason I ask is you might be much better off getting her a zero turn mower if the terrain is fairly smooth. If there are trees and other obstacles to mow around it is hard to beat a zero turn mower.

I guess the only reason I would recommend a mower deck for your GC2310 over the zero turn would be hills and rough terrain. Your wife having her own "baby" to mow with has several advantages:
Keeps hours off your GC2310
Zero turn mowers are faster when there are obstacles to mowing.
No changing of implements
Quality of cut is excellent on many zero turn mowers, mulching especially good.
Operator visibilty is better on the zero turn mower
Your wife can mow on her schedule and not need "your" tractor

1*The zero turn mowers have been the death of garden tractors, the primary purpose of garden tractors was mowing and the zero turns are much faster and smoother.

At the very least take her out to a dealer and look at the zero turn mowers before you make a firm decision.

Bruce
1*Exaggerated myth as zero turn mowers still will not do
garden tractors tasks.

/ mower deck for GC2310 or lawn tractor?
There's slightly less than 1/4 acre in front of the house - hilly terrain with some trees. There's also beside the laneway (around 300' long, two narrow strips on each side). There's also, if she is motivated, an acre or two in front of the pond.

The reason I ask is you might be much better off getting her a zero turn mower if the terrain is fairly smooth.

That never occurred to me.

I've been looking at used garden tractors that have a mower deck+snow blower+etc. That way, I would have another backup snowblower in the winter.

I like the idea of her having a dedicated lawn cutting machine, but I dislike having yet another tractor to keep running.

/ mower deck for GC2310 or lawn tractor? #10  
This is my first post after reading this site for over a year. I have a MF2310, but did not get the MM, but opted instead for the 3 point, pull behind Landspride 60" trailer mower. Absolutely love it. Wheels adjust up & down for cut level, plus I can raise it hydraulically for real rough spots. Easy as pie to hook on & off. :D I also have a 54" rider to play with which is much more stable on steep sidehills. I mow about 3 acres a week with a combination of self-propelled push mowers (areas to tight for riders), and both of my "riders". The trailer mower is rear discharge so there is no mound of grass from the side discharge chute, plus it mows while I back up so I can reach tough places. Just got the 2310 in January 2008, so last summer I built a 16'X32' storage barn with an 8'X8' door for just my tractors and equipment. Everything goes inside & stays there unless being used. Don't think my 2310 has ever been rained on!:eek: