Oil & Fuel MF35 Diesel 3 cyl perkins power steering leaking

/ MF35 Diesel 3 cyl perkins power steering leaking #1  

shrievy

Tractor
MF 35 Diesel
I have a MF35 1960 perkins diesel I rebuilt. After startup I get power steering fluid coming out of the breather vent that is just behind the steering shaft and on top of the steering housing. I took out the o rings on the cylinder assembly and replaced the 2 o rings that go on the assembly adapter. Tripled check the conditon of the o rings before finally seating the assembly in the cylinder housing and put all back together. Started again and same results, fluid coming out of the breather vent. I made sure the power steering fluid was full in the power steering pump. The pump, pumpes it out but does not return the fluid back to the pump, just keeps coming out the breather vent. Any help would be appriciated. Thanks, John

/ MF35 Diesel 3 cyl perkins power steering leaking
I found the problem! I had the bottom seal on the steering shaft upside down. The spring on the bottom seal needs to be facing up. The spring on the top seal of the steering shaft needs to be facing down.

After I put it all back together and fired it up, workes great. Don't forget to purge the air by slowly turning the wheel full left and right making sure you keep ps fluid full in pump. I had also checked the larger o rings in the ps piston adapter and I had one little nick on one. Didn't think it would do harm but had replaced it while I was in there.