MF GC 2310 PTO Horror Mystery "SOS"

/ MF GC 2310 PTO Horror Mystery "SOS" #1  

stoneride

:confused:Background: Massey Ferguson GC 2310 with loader, backhoe, mid-mount mower purchase new in 2005 that now has approximately 390 hours. Help needed as the grass is getting way over my head as a result of the irregular operation of PTO.
This problem with our mower began last summer. We had about 320 hours on the machine at that time and the tractor and its attachments had been working fine until then. Suddenly the tractor would start and run fine and then while mowing the PTO would seem to disengage for no reason and the mower would wind to a stop. The engine still ran fine as well as the rest of the hydraulics ( loader, up/down mechanism of mower ).The mower deck was fully checked first for broken parts or belt slipping, but all was well.
Then the next day or sometimes within hours it would engage fine again then after mowing for a time would stop again. This went on like this through the balance of the mowing season last year and into this season with the frequency and duration between when the mower will engage getting worse.
We also checked if the problem was related to the seat sensor since we started experiencing an increase in the condition where the engine would cut out while going over a bump. We did find the spring wire weld within the seat where the sensor attaches to broke, so we by-passed the sensor under the seat to see if that was related to the problem with the PTO. However it had no effect on the PTO shutting off or not starting at all while mowing, but the problem with stalling when hitting a bump went away. Of course we値l correct this condition since by passing the switch can lead to serious safety issues.
Back to the PTO problem, I had verified that when the PTO for the mid mount mower stopped working that also the rear PTO would not engage. Also this condition of the PTO not responding will occur whether the mower deck is attached or not so again it is not related to the mower deck.
However sometime when I have been shifting from mid PTO to the rear PTO it sometimes engages and this will allow me a hour or two of mowing at best before the PTO winds to a halt.
Another interest coincidence is that sometime after the PTO stops I continue to use the tractor as a loader then for the **** of it I値l try to engage the PTO and sure enough it will surprise me and I値l try to get in a little mowing before she shuts down the operation.
What makes this matter even worse is that I have talked with at least three (3) dealers as well as a Massey Furguson technical representative and they have no answers or good suggestions to say the least. Unfortunately I cannot afford to have the machine towed to a dealer since they are hours away. So I am hoping to get some good advise from the TractorByNet community to lead me in the right direction.
By the way this is not my first piece of equipment, I have had a JD 350 Dozer, Case 480 Backhoe, Ford Tractor, Kubota Bx series compact tractor with loader (just before they offered the backhoe attachment), so I have some experience with light weight heavy equipment.
Please SOS.....Help

/ MF GC 2310 PTO Horror Mystery "SOS" #2  
It would have to be in the linkage or the clutch pack. Is there any slop in the PTO lever or the lever hitting the plastic cover keeping it from fully engaging? If you can't find something in the linkage you might have to open it up and see what is loose.

Doug

/ MF GC 2310 PTO Horror Mystery "SOS" #3  
I agree with tx2310, the first place i'd look is the linkage for the PTO engagement or the linkage for the mid or rear PTO engagement.

DEWFPO

/ MF GC 2310 PTO Horror Mystery "SOS" #4  
I wonder if the safety switches on the PTO levers could be faulty. I know they keep it from starting when they are in the run position, maybe there's a glitch in one that is shutting them down while your operating. It definitely sounds linkage related to me.

/ MF GC 2310 PTO Horror Mystery "SOS" #5  
I believe the safety switches only keep the motor running, the PTO linkage is mechanical, no electrical involved to run the PTO.

Doug

/ MF GC 2310 PTO Horror Mystery "SOS" #6  
Has the engine been tuned up recently. Air/oil/fuel filters changed? Mowing tall grass really bogs an engine down. If problem persists, it would seem like a gear or gear lever / linkage issue.
Best of Luck!

/ MF GC 2310 PTO Horror Mystery "SOS"
The linkage has been checked over and over with the hope that this would be the cause but with no such luck.. I thought about replacing the safety switch just for the "s & G", but I agree with tx2310 that these safety switches are mostly for allowing the engine to start with the shift in neutral or to stop the engine when in gear if you are not in the seat. However I believe the safety switch for the pto lever does shut the pto(mower) off when you are in neutral but leave the seat with the mower running. So would this switch shut down the pto when in gear without leaving the seat if it was malfunctioning? I guess it might be worth the shot?

Is there a good website or phone number for ordering parts like this switch?

If it is not the switches nor in the linkage system, then I assume it is a clutch / clutch pack problem. What a drag and or disappointment for a machine with less than 400 hours. Perhaps I should have stayed in the Kubota family?

/ MF GC 2310 PTO Horror Mystery "SOS" #8  
Do those pto levers feel detented when you move them to the engaged position? And to the levers move to the disengaged position when the pto stops? (on thier own I mean) Maybe the detents are wore out already? I know they are different but my ford does the same thing from time time while using the rear pto with my mower. Good Luck! TB

/ MF GC 2310 PTO Horror Mystery "SOS"
I do not recal feeling a significant detent when levers are moved into position now or for that matter even when the machine was new. They definitely do not move on their own into different positions.
As for the question raised by pintodeluxe with respect to the engine being in tune, other then the problem described with the mower the tract and other attachements work like a charm. The loader with the bucket filled with CMU blocks has no problem and when recently using the backhoe, life was sweet. Also the only time the grass has been allowed to get tall was when this problem caused me to miss mowing. Then when the machine feels like working I take small sweeps and set the mower height for leaving the grass taller to be kind to what was once my baby and now has become by test of patience....

/ MF GC 2310 PTO Horror Mystery "SOS" #10  
The front and rear pto are both controlled by the same PTO clutch pack. If the shift linkage is good thaen the issue could be with the seals located in the clutch pack or even the clutch pack assembly itself.