MF135 Expert Opinion Needed

/ MF135 Expert Opinion Needed #1  

Texas Blues

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey 1655 Ford 1700 2cyl, Ford 1600 2cyl Massey 135 3cyl gas
Howdy folks, just ordered the dual clutch assembly for the MF135. I have a question about resurfacing the flywheel. Over the years I have had plenty of auto and truck flywheels resurfaced. Its always been a flat flywheel, and the entire flat surface gets resurfaced. This flywheel for the 135 has a raised area where the bolts hold the pressure plate. Does this bolt aread have to be resurfaced the same amount as the disc surface area to keep things even? Or can those areas be left alone? Anybody have to have this done? Thanks! TB

Attachments

• DSCF0021.JPG
    DSCF0021.JPG
    615 KB · Views: 178
  • DSCF0022.JPG
    DSCF0022.JPG
    616.2 KB · Views: 208
   / MF135 Expert Opinion Needed #2  
It has been a long time since I had this done so I was reluctant to comment. I believe the answer is no -- the centre does not require to be turned down to keep it even. The clutch adjustments are not reliant on that centre piece so it just is a bolting surface
regards

/ MF135 Expert Opinion Needed
Thanks studor, Im not sure what your getting at, actually I meant the area where the pressure bolts to, not the center (which bolts to the flywheel). The mounting bolts for the pressure plate are on the raised area around the outside edge of the flywheel. On a truck or auto flywheel, the pressure plate areas get groung down along with the disc surface area because it is all one flat disc, and the pressure plate mounting bolts are on the outside edge. In this case, the outer edge where the pressure plate bolts to is raised up around the outside edge. I think the same rule applies, but want to be sure. Thanks! TB

/ MF135 Expert Opinion Needed #4  
Howdy folks, just ordered the dual clutch assembly for the MF135. I have a question about resurfacing the flywheel. Over the years I have had plenty of auto and truck flywheels resurfaced. Its always been a flat flywheel, and the entire flat surface gets resurfaced. This flywheel for the 135 has a raised area where the bolts hold the pressure plate. Does this bolt aread have to be resurfaced the same amount as the disc surface area to keep things even? Or can those areas be left alone? Anybody have to have this done? Thanks! TB

Talk to your local machine shop, they'll know. My guess is that only the surface that touches the clutch gets ground. It'd take some tricky work to grind those other areas and that will cost some $'s.

/ MF135 Expert Opinion Needed #5  
Sorry TB been away for a few days
I am pretty sure that all that was turned on mine was the area the plate matchs on (i.e the ring in the middle) Neither the centre nor the outer surface for bolting was machined. That does not look too bad from the pictures -- does it even need to turned? Mine had some substantial rust:eek:

/ MF135 Expert Opinion Needed #6  
Pretty sure inside & out have to be machined to matched specs.

/ MF135 Expert Opinion Needed #7  
The machine shop should have no problem with the step down in the center. I had the flywheel turned (ground) on the little Ford Ranger pickup I inherited when the transmission self destructed. The step was about 40 or 50 thousands deep in the center. The shop only charged $ 20.00 to turn the flywheel with or without the step. They need to drive out the locating pins for the pressure plate and clean up the back of the flywheel so it sits flat on the grinder.

Bruce

/ MF135 Expert Opinion Needed #8  
G'day it is most important to have both the inner and outer machined down the same amount if you don't you reduce the clamping force on the clutch plate your machine shop should know this though. Best of luck with the refit:)

Jon

/ MF135 Expert Opinion Needed #9  
I went back and checked with the guys that did mine. Their answer --theoretically both should be done the same. Practically they say it does not seem to make much of a difference unless you REALLY grind down the surface which they of course do not recommend. I asked which they did on mine and they said can't remember -- probably just the ring --it it has not been a problem since (three years).

/ MF135 Expert Opinion Needed
Thanks for the responses. I did have them just lightly polish the disc area. Not much was taken off, I dont think it will be a problem not hitting those pressure plate mounting areas. The supposed "new" clutch assembly I had bought got here, but when I opened the box, it was a "returned to vendor" item. The pressure plate box had been previously opened, and the disc surface area was scratched up and had a blackish patina on it like it had been left out of the box for awhile. The box it came in even said "returned clutch" lol. Needless to say I wasnt happy about that and the vendor is shipping out another "new unopened" product. Should hopefully be here by the weekend. Cleaning out that bell housing was a pain, I got tired of it after awhile and cleaned it as good as its going to get!

Attachments

• DSCF0087.JPG
    DSCF0087.JPG
    603.1 KB · Views: 171
  • DSCF0091.JPG
    DSCF0091.JPG
    603.9 KB · Views: 181