Backhoe GC2410 Backhoe removal with jack?

/ GC2410 Backhoe removal with jack? #1  

bmarian

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC2410
Has anybody taken their Massey backhoe off in the "transport" position? I want to remove my backhoe without taking up much space under the house. The hoe is about 8' long when you use the method shown in the operators manual. I have a ATV jack and a floor jack that I could use to lift the backhoe to remove the pins. The ATV jack is just about the perfect width to lift the backhoe frame and I could use the floor jack under the bucket. I will put a tie down across the outriggers so they don't come down. Actually maybe I will retract the outriggers after I get the backhoe off the tractor.

I am hoping someone has given this a try and knows how the weight of the backhoe behaves in regards to center of gravity etc when it is removed in the transport position.

I am thinking of either making or buying a dolly to remove the backhoe in the transport position, space under the house is limited and I would like to find a place where I can keep the backhoe or the box scraper.

Thanks,

Bruce

/ GC2410 Backhoe removal with jack? #2  
Unless you are seriously cramped for space, I would be very nervous about trying to take off the BH with a jack.

I also have a storage issue, so I made a dolley out of pressure treated wood. It fits nicely under the BH frame; and I use the stablizer arms to lift it off the tractor. Then once in position, I lift the arms and use a bungy cord to keep them in place.

It worked great. I rolled it into a storage room in the garage last November when I put on the snow blower, and then rolled it out in April when it was time to switch implements (during the summer, the snow blower rests on the same dolley).

Jay

Attachments

• Dolly.jpg
    Dolly.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 517
  • Dolly2.jpg
    Dolly2.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 1,106
  • Dolley3.jpg
    Dolley3.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 642
   / GC2410 Backhoe removal with jack?
Hi Jay,

I forgot about the dolly you made, that might be a better way for me to go. I don't have enough room to put the outriggers down where I plan on storing the backhoe. But if I make the dolly so that it will roll on dirt then I could take the backhoe off just outside where I want to store the backhoe and pull the dolly with one of the garden tractors. The Massey go under the house with the ROPS lowered in 1 bay only. The North side of my house is on concrete pillars about 5' 6" high so we dug out one bay so the Massey would go under the house. It is just open like a machinery shed on ends and one side about 30' long and 12' deep. Eventually, I plan on digging all the bays out and putting 12" square pavers under the house for a floor. But there are sprinkler lines and wires to relocate and we need to determine the depth of the concrete pillars before I remove any more dirt. Hard to explain my storage area, I will need to take a few pictures in the daylight. The lowest point is a 6" x 18" beam that runs from one end to the other. The house is built on top of that beam and if I remove the backhoe I could leave the ROPS up and just pull the tractor in until the ROPS was close to the beam. But this is easier shown in pictures.

Thanks again,

Bruce

/ GC2410 Backhoe removal with jack? #4  
Hey Brain, have you ever seen the dolly's from bxpanded.com . They are made to work with the kubota bx series. I spoke with the owner builder, his name is Harry. Hey said he could make some for the gc series of tractors. He would like to get a list of people that would want one. I want and need one hopeing to get more gc series owners who also would like to have one made. Look at bxpanded.com and watch the video for the backhoe and front loader dollys....Thanks Ray GC 2410tlb owner..........

/ GC2410 Backhoe removal with jack?
Hi Ray,

I have seen his website and his dolly is nice but I want to have larger diameter tires so it will roll easily on dirt. Actually, I think Jay's dolly is nicer than the one on bxpanded, the width of Jay's would allow other uses.

I am going to work on my dolly soon, I am thinking of using a couple of front tires and wheels from my Wheel Horse tractors. I have an extra set of front tires and wheels, I think I can put a bracket (angle iron) inside the lower backhoe mount and put a piece of 3/4" round inside the angle to mount the wheels. Then I need to figure out what I am going to use for the other end of the dolly so it will turn easily. I am planning on something that I can easily move with one of my garden tractors.

I will post some pictures as soon as I start fabrication.

Bruce

/ GC2410 Backhoe removal with jack? #6  
The bxpanded one is very nice, but I needed something that would be a bit more tolerant about the bucket placement (not sure I've ever done it exactly the same way twice) and be able to accommodate both the BH and the snow blower. The sides on mine are pressure treated 2 x 4, and the ends are 2 x 10. I got the wheels at Harbor Freight, but they have the same thing at TSC (which just opened a nearby store a couple of months ago).

My total cost was ~ $40. and my wife was (temporarily) impressed with my creative abiliites. The only downside was that since I already had all the tools necessary to make the dolley, I could not turn this project into a "new tool" opportunity. :rolleyes:

Jay

/ GC2410 Backhoe removal with jack? #7  
Unless you are seriously cramped for space, I would be very nervous about trying to take off the BH with a jack.

I also have a storage issue, so I made a dolley out of pressure treated wood. It fits nicely under the BH frame; and I use the stablizer arms to lift it off the tractor. Then once in position, I lift the arms and use a bungy cord to keep them in place.

It worked great. I rolled it into a storage room in the garage last November when I put on the snow blower, and then rolled it out in April when it was time to switch implements (during the summer, the snow blower rests on the same dolley).

Jay

Excellent idea with the dolley!! :) How big are the casters??

/ GC2410 Backhoe removal with jack? #8  
I got the idea after reading about others on TBN who had done the same thing. For the BH/snow blower dolley I used 5" swivel casters. I also made a slightly smaller version for the 3PH wood chipper and used 4" swivel casters for that one.

Jay

/ GC2410 Backhoe removal with jack? #9  
Hey Jay, what are your measurements for the one you built for the back hoe. LxWxH . Also the sizes of lumber. The one in the pics look like 1X6 and 1x4, but my eyes or can be bad......Any other members have pics of ones they built. Sort of leaning towards bxpanded, have a garage with cement floors. I also have plans to build a shed with shelf with racks or shelfs that i can back intor and or remove my attachments. I bought some forks for the bucket and thought about putting some attachments on pallets to store...... They are made by rankin. ray

Attachments

• IMGP3636.jpg
    IMGP3636.jpg
    596.2 KB · Views: 709
   / GC2410 Backhoe removal with jack? #10  
My Dad and I built these. And if we ever end up having a cement floor in a garage, we will be building a dolley like above. Perfect idea, and makes life so much easier.