Oil & Fuel 1500 series oil filter removal

/ 1500 series oil filter removal #1  

ArTrvlr

Silver Member
Tractor
MF 1547 Cab, DynaQPS
Here is a post from last year that addresses this issue:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/massey-ferguson-owning-operating/119224-1528-oil-filter.html ,
but I thought I would open it up again to see if others have this problem and find out any solutions you guys have found. The solution given in that thread (cup type filter wrench) won't work for me.

I have a 1547 cab with loader. That combination makes it almost impossible to SEE the oil filter, much less get to it for removal and replacement. Even without the loader mounting bracket, the oil filter is behind the fuel filter. I just did my 50 hr. service and had to remove the fuel filter/fuel pump/bracket combination to get a strap wrench on the filter. I was able to move the filter and bracket out of the way only after separating the filter from the bracket (only one bolt). The fuel hoses are long enough that they didn't have to be removed, so no air to bleed from the system. Once all that was out of the way my strap wrench was too wide to fit between the end of the filter and the loader mounting bracket, but about 1/4" ground off of the strap fixed that.
It doesn't take that long to remove and replace the filter and bracket, but it is a PITA compared to most filter changes I have done, so I was wondering if anyone had a better method.

Also, let me say I hate horizontally mounted oil filters. :mad:Even with a rag stuffed under it, it makes a big mess down the side of the engine and frame. How hard would it be to design the filter mount vertical, like God intended? And then don't mount anything under the filter so I could get to it with a cup type filter wrench (even if I had to use a ratchet and extension). OK, that's my rant, sorry :D

Anyone found a better/easier way to get at that filter? Without a cab and/or a loader it may not be so bad, so this may be the downside of having a cab, if so the AC in 100 degree weather is well worth it.:)
jp

/ 1500 series oil filter removal #2  
Yep, had that same tractor, and what a PITA to change the oil, and unfortunately I don't think there is an easier way. I traded the 1547 for a 5455, and I just bought a 1533, but I haven't done the 50 hr service on it yet so I'm not sure the situation is the same.

/ 1500 series oil filter removal #3  
Is it here...

If so, we use a metal cup type filter removal tool, with an extension on the end, and a rag below to catch the spillage.

/ 1500 series oil filter removal #4  
ArTrvlr - I have a 1552 cab model and found the same issue. Removing the fuel filter/fuel pump/bracket combination was the only way I could get a strap wrench on the filter. Definately not MF's best idea there...

/ 1500 series oil filter removal
ArTrvlr - I have a 1552 cab model and found the same issue. Removing the fuel filter/fuel pump/bracket combination was the only way I could get a strap wrench on the filter. Definately not MF's best idea there...

Thanks Rich. It seems it would be close even without the loader bracket, but that bracket really blocks access.
I would consider a remote filter adapter, but it is so crowded everywhere under the hood there is nowhere to mount a remote filter.:mad:
Nothing to do but just live with it.
Thanks to all for the replies, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.
jp

/ 1500 series oil filter removal #6  
Nope, there is no easier way to change this filter.

It is a good chance though to replace the fuel filter and clean out the sediment bowl.

/ 1500 series oil filter removal #7  
When I was doing a service I would usually take the loader off, it makes things a lot easier without it in the way, and it only takes a couple of minutes to remove it.

/ 1500 series oil filter removal #8  
Having the loader off would be somewhat easier, but the loader brackets (attached to the tractor) are still in the way.

/ 1500 series oil filter removal #9  
   / 1500 series oil filter removal

Yeah, what a pain. The loader brackets bolt in in the same place the MMM bolts. I can see your agony.

Here is what we use, makes life easier, but would it help you guys out??

K-D Tools 3253 - 65mm End Cap Oil Filter Wrench

KD Tools

I have one similar to that, but it won't go in between the loader bracket and the end of the filter. Even the strap wrench I did use had to be ground down, the band was too wide.
I will post some pics tomorrow.
jp