What is wrong with my PTO?

/ What is wrong with my PTO? #1  

wkheathjr

Bronze Member
Tractor
80's Massey Ferguson 240
I have a 86 MF240 and something is wrong with getting PTO started. When the engine is running, if you try to put PTO into high RPM, the gear grinds and would not let you get into gear, but if you try to get it into low RPM, you can get into gear no problem. Then when you turn the tractor off and try to put gear into High RPM, it slip into gear no problem then you start the tractor and PTO is running okay however the battery would need to be at full strength to make it work. If battery is weak then you won't be able to.

Any idea?? :confused: I am a bit worried!

And for your info, PTO will run ok on high RPM for as long as you run the tractor and will turn off when you pop the gear out.

/ What is wrong with my PTO? #2  
I'm no expert on this, but a question-- are you engaging PTO with the engine at idle? There is a small clutch in there, if your set-up is like the 2310, but it doesn't amount to too much. My PTO will only grind and not go in at all if engine is anything above an idle-- even then it sort of slams in.... Or, is idle speed set too high perhaps?

EDIT: Also, I find I have to move the engagement levers in the proper order- first the speed ("2000") lever, then the "engage" lever; doing it the other way 'round grinds & won't go in. (Release PTO in reverse order, first "engage", then "2000".) Hope this helps.

Last edited:
   / What is wrong with my PTO?
It was at normal idle when I attempted putting it into gear.. I haven't tried it at any speed higher than idling or while it is moving.

I do recall at some point that it wouldn't let me pop it into low RPM but into high RPM and I had to try to get into low because of finish mower and after that, it was back to not letting me into high rpm since.

/ What is wrong with my PTO? #4  
Wow. Doesn't sound simple.

Any slop in the PTO control linkages? Is it possible the machine thinks PTO clutch lever (with notches on slot) isn't fully in "neutral" (disengaged)? There is a micro switch on it, but I think that's just the engine shut-down if you get off the seat when it's in gear.

Manual states that "Oil pressure is used to engage and disengage the PTO clutch pack." Low on oil (or pressure) in transmission?

That exhausts my limited knowledge!:eek: Please let us know what you find.

/ What is wrong with my PTO? #5  
It sounds as though your clutch needs adjustment. If that is what the problem is if you get the PTO going by starting the engine with it engage it will not stop when you push the clutch in (that is if you dont have an attachment on it, an attachment would provide enough drag to stop it). It is probably a simple clutch adjustment. If I didnt make myself clear let me know more details of the type of trans it is some of the 2 stage clutch standard shift act like this when they are out of adjustment.

/ What is wrong with my PTO? #6  
wkheathjr- how'd you make out? I guess I must have HST on the brain... I guess your 240 is a gear transmission....:eek: