pto engagement

/ pto engagement #1  

torzim

Tractor
07 gc2300
Hi all,
New to the forum and new to the gc2300, get place for info - Thanks in advance!

My 07 gc2300 shutters pretty good when engaging the pto (had a 5' rough cut mower attached - no MMM attached), even stalls the tractor when not carefull. The engagement lever is pulled toward the operator and moved forward then you need to push the lever away from the operator then forward again to full engagement. My question is: is the pto shaft suppose to slowly start turning during the mid forward position of the engagement lever and then to full speed engagement when moved fully forward or is that just a safety thing and the pto engages quite harshly (like its either on or off). thanks again for your thoughts

/ pto engagement #2  
torzim,

I do not have an answer to your question. :( I am replying to your post to welcome you to the forum. :) I am about as new of a newbe as a newbe can be. I have about 5 or so posts in the last few weeks as I have been looking to purchase a MF similar to yours. My MF1523 was delivered today and I have had a wonderful day learning and experiencing.

Folks here have a vast information base and quite a few posters have GC2300s so it is just a matter of time before the information will be yours.

Welcome aboard!!

Sincerely, Frank

/ pto engagement #3  
My 2300 PTO engages the same as yours--harshly with the wood chipper or the snowblower, Just be sure the engine is idling when engaging the pto, apparently thats the way it is as there is no "clutch" to engage the PTO gradually--just bang- and it is engaged!

/ pto engagement #4  
Hi all,
New to the forum and new to the gc2300, get place for info - Thanks in advance!

My 07 gc2300 shutters pretty good when engaging the pto (had a 5' rough cut mower attached - no MMM attached), even stalls the tractor when not carefull. The engagement lever is pulled toward the operator and moved forward then you need to push the lever away from the operator then forward again to full engagement. My question is: is the pto shaft suppose to slowly start turning during the mid forward position of the engagement lever and then to full speed engagement when moved fully forward or is that just a safety thing and the pto engages quite harshly (like its either on or off). thanks again for your thoughts

The shudder with a brush cutter could be because the blades are'nt fixed. They have to be "slung out" by centrifugal force before they're ballanced.

/ pto engagement #5  
The handle is a safety feature, stops the PTO from starting up when your coat catches on it while getting off. A 5' cutter is at the top end of a GC2300 's HP rating. It's always going to be tough to start. Minimum rpm to engage. On my rear snowblower, if I engage at too high an rpm, or fully raised 3ph, I usually have to change the shear pin.

/ pto engagement #6  
I believe the vibration is normal, especially for such a large implement. Engage the PTO with engine at low speed (idle or just above), and then increase engine speed. What you are feeling is the centrifugal force of those very heavy blades extending and coming up to speed. It does go away soon after starting, doesn't it?

/ pto engagement
thanks for the info guys - and yes once the mower is spining - all is great. I was mowing down ditch grass and clover and whatnot that was well over 4ft high at a pretty decent speed and it took a thick clump to make the engine even think of working. I am just beginning as I am building a house on a 1 acre parcel and I think this unit will serve me well during the landscaping and afterwords for just mowing, tilling and clearing snow. Thanks again guys, I can sleep easy!

/ pto engagement #8  
IMO it's a poor design. The clutch is either in or out. With my MMM there is a lot of weight that has to be brought up to speed quickly which is where the problem arises. I had to raise my rpm a little so that the motor wouldn't stall. (I live at 7,200 ft). Once up to speed it works great and had plenty of power but it sure is hard on the equipment to engage it. The SB wasn't a problem because there is not much mass to get moving. So the bottom line is : it's normal on the 2300.

/ pto engagement #9  
The shudder with a brush cutter could be because the blades are'nt fixed. They have to be "slung out" by centrifugal force before they're ballanced.

Thats what it is, a finish mower or snowblower will not engage like this.

/ pto engagement #10  
My MMM was a finish mower and it did engage very harshly sometimes stalling the engine at idle.

DEWFPO