MF 1240 won't shut down

/ MF 1240 won't shut down #1  

celdred

My dad's 1997 MF 1240 won't shut off with key. Anyone have any ideas? Dealer thought it was the starter relay so he replaced that and no change. Seems that when he turns the key off it is not shutting down the fuel to the injectors. Thanks for any ideas! - Chuck

/ MF 1240 won't shut down #2  
The fuel shut off solenoid on the injection pump either is not working or is not getting energized. The solenoid is actually energized for about 10 seconds after shutting off the engine and stops the flow of fuel to the injection pump. After about 10 seconds you can actually here it click off. There is a rubber boot on the end of the solenoid you can push to shut the engine off. Check the fuses or the timer relay (not the starter relay).

/ MF 1240 won't shut down
Thanks cj7 - I just spoke with my old man and he said they replaced the timer relay not the starter relay as I suggested. Anyway, no change...they've checked the fuses also. He says they have power coming out of the relay but just before the solenoid there's a 3 prong plug and they have no powere there. Of course the wiring is hidden rather well so they are looking for a problem in between.

Could they run a wire straight from the battery terminal to the solenoid to see if the solenoid is working properly? I'm not that good with electrical stuff but from your previous post am I to understand that the solenoid is actually supplied power upon shutdown and not while the engine is running. Sorry for the hassle and let me know if I'm being a pain in the @@s! Thanks -Chuck

/ MF 1240 won't shut down #4  
The timer relay has a capacitor in it which basically acts like a 10 second battery. To see if power is getting to the solenoid, you can simply touch a screw driver to it. When energized during those 10 seconds, the solenoid will act like a magnet. If you feel a magnetic force with the screw driver, then the solenoid valve assy will need to be replaced or inspected because the spool inside the assembly is not shifting and turning off the fuel supply. If the solenoid does not become magnetic, then no power is getting to the solenoid and you will need to tracce the source of your electrical problem.

/ MF 1240 won't shut down #5  
I haven't found the rubber boot you spoke of cj, but my tractor done the same thing today...all it was was a blown horn/turn signal fuse. Changed it and it shut down with the key. Don't know why the horn fuse affected shut down, but it did.

/ MF 1240 won't shut down #6  
WHERE IS THE FUSE PANEL LOCATED ON THE MaSSEY FERGUSON 1240 ?