Front axle lube.

/ Front axle lube. #1  

WilliamBos

Tractor
MF 1635 12x12 Powershuttle
Getting ready for pre-winter maintenance, and wondered if it is ok to use 75w90 syn gear oil in the front axle instead of Permatran??

/ Front axle lube. #2  
I was wondering the same thing, as I am going to change out my front axle with AMSoil Xtreme gear 75W90. Maybe overkill ?

/ Front axle lube.
I was wondering the same thing, as I am going to change out my front axle with AMSoil Xtreme gear 75W90. Maybe overkill ?

My concern is the winter months, when the FWA is engaged all winter long. I want something that can handle this, and not break down to fast. I need to change the Permatran out anyway.

/ Front axle lube. #4  
I would run gear lube also. As far as the Synthetic stuff, I wouldn't change to that unless you have a few hundred hours on the machine to make sure everything broke in good. I'm usually not a supporter of synthetic, but I think your situation with the cold is a good reason for using it.

/ Front axle lube.
I would run gear lube also. As far as the Synthetic stuff, I wouldn't change to that unless you have a few hundred hours on the machine to make sure everything broke in good. I'm usually not a supporter of synthetic, but I think your situation with the cold is a good reason for using it.

Thanks We are just under 200 hours now, so I figure the time is good.

What about the gear box on the mid mount mower?? 75W90 too??

/ Front axle lube. #6  
I'd check the specs on what's in there. I thought it was some funky weight oil for some reason.

/ Front axle lube. #7  
The book of MF says, it is okay to use either the Permatran, or gear lube, in the front axle. Even if they did not suggest it, I would still use the gear lube.

You want to use a gear lube with the "EP" designation. These gears can generate very high pressures that really need this kind of protection.

You can switch to synthetic at the 50 hour service. Recommending using mineral oil for a "break in" period is becoming a thing of the past. Today's mineral oils are extremely good lubricants, other than they break down faster, and don't have the temperature latitudes of synthetics, there is little difference.

/ Front axle lube. #8  
Thanks We are just under 200 hours now, so I figure the time is good.

What about the gear box on the mid mount mower?? 75W90 too??

Decided to go with AMSoil Severe Gear 75W90 in the front axle and Severe Gear 75W110 in my mower and tiller gear box. Not sure if I really need it, but the more protection the better I feel ! :)