Second Question: Now only left hand turns...

/ Second Question: Now only left hand turns... #1  

Vermin Achers

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 180/Farmall A
How do I check the Power Steering pump? The MF180 has now turned into a ******* guerrilla and will only turn left. Not so good with a short trailer behind it for round bales.

Oh, and any help on my other thread is GREATLY appreciated.

David

/ Second Question: Now only left hand turns... #2  
A number of years ago I spent about $50.00 buying a glycerin filled, 3,000 psi pressure gauge, and an inline needle valve. Along with that, a couple of short sections of hydraulic hose. Plus numerous fittings to reduce to, or enlarge to most fittings I have around here.

If you have a set-up like this, you can tap into your pressure line..., inline out of the pump with fittings. Make sure the needle valve is on the outlet side of the gauge, from the pump. Slowly close the valve, and watch for a pressure increase. You can close it clear off to see what the pump is making. But only do it for a very short time..!! As it may cause damage to the pump...

Not really sure what that pump will max out at though. Hmm., it may be in my service manual, but escapes me at the moment...

Sounds like you are having problems similar to mine. If I turn mine slow, I can turn it either direction with 1 finger. Even at an idle... Speed it up, and it's like fighting pressure from the other direction. Try and make a fast turn, and the steering gets real hard, either way. I assume my problem lies in the Hydramotor in mine. Another job, another day... It is just a spare, for cheap horsepower.

I did answer some of your questions in your other thread...

Good luck, and keep me updated on your progress..!!

/ Second Question: Now only left hand turns... #3  
Jack up the tractor and see if it will turn with no load on it. If so you probably have blown the seals in the steering cylinder. I did the same thing but on a completely different tractor.

Chris

/ Second Question: Now only left hand turns... #4  
G'day not sure if the 180 shares the same setup as the 185 188 etc but if it does check the small link pin that joins the steering arm to the control valve ( in front of radiator) smallest amount of wear in these will give you all sorts of steering problems. Good luck:)

Jon

/ Second Question: Now only left hand turns... #5  
Here is a exploded view of the Power Rack steering used on the 180's. Not sure what other models this style was used on.

Attachments

• Massey 180 Power Rack.jpg
    Massey 180 Power Rack.jpg
    579.5 KB · Views: 296
   / Second Question: Now only left hand turns...
Guess a better explaination is in order:

I can make left hand turns under power requiring less work than a Farmall A.

I can turn the wheels back to forward without issue.

The steering wheel just turns and turns when trying to move the wheels to the right and nothing happens. No more difficult to turn to the right than to the left. Both simpler than the Farmall A, both harder to turn than an F-250 pickup.

/ Second Question: Now only left hand turns... #7  
Look at the diagram from DJ54, you may have lost some teeth on the gear or rod that are in the steering box. That diagram looks just like the steering unit on my old MF85, if it is I know the tractor graveyard where it still resides.

/ Second Question: Now only left hand turns... #8  
David:

Good Day. I am hoping you figured this out as I have a MF180 with a loader that is showing the same issues that you are describing.

Please post your diagnostic and solution if you found one.

Thanks so much

Mike