Backhoe No hydraulic power to bucket or backhoe!

/ No hydraulic power to bucket or backhoe! #1  

RobertsMassie2310

HELP! lol..have a great little Massie Ferguson GC2310 TLB and had worked great until recently...was on it one day and started making noise like "cavitating"...loss of hydraulic power to attachments-would no longer lift or move the backhoe or bucket or stabilizing outrigger arms; i still had hydrostatic drive but it was stiffer than normal and not operating correctly; i found a hose that was scraped and had some residual fluid but wasnt an obvious leak cause it was by the controller(thats the shift arm on the pump right?)...anyway i replaced it and bled the system like the shop tech told me, but still have no hydraulic power to these parts...I would very much appreciate any ideas? I cant even get it to a shop cause the bucket and backhoe are on the ground and i cant get them up to even drive the tractor to the shop nor afford for anyone to come pick it up...thanks in advance for any help you can provide

/ No hydraulic power to bucket or backhoe! #2  
Check the quick couplers first.

/ No hydraulic power to bucket or backhoe! #4  
Yup, check couplers first. Oil level, suction screen & filter. Other than that sounds like a pump issue to me.

/ No hydraulic power to bucket or backhoe!
level was low but have filled it up several times to make sure it was high enough and refilled after trying to bleed the sytem by moving the position selectors to different positions...and still no response...so you think it a hydraulic pump then? thanks again for all your help!

/ No hydraulic power to bucket or backhoe! #6  
Please keep us posted on what the problem is. MG2310 owner's want to know. Wish you low cost repair. :)

/ No hydraulic power to bucket or backhoe! #7  
Ditto jetwoz! Any progress yet?

/ No hydraulic power to bucket or backhoe! #8  
Hi there,

I am very interested in how RobertsMassie2310 made out with his problem. I too have developed a possibly related problem.

I am new to the forum. Glad to have it as a resource. I too have a 2007 MF 2310 TLB and love it. Bought it 3 months ago with a 177 hours and I was told the 150 hour service was done and hydraulic fluid was changed by the dealer. It now has 240 hours on it of hoeing on my completely flat property and it worked fine. Yesterday, for the first time I took it off my property and did some hoeing at a friends house. Tractor was running for about 6 hours... pretty well continuously. Probably 60% digging at 2100 rpm and 40% idling. worked fine for 5 hours. Then I started digging a trench and picked up a pretty big rock with the hoe. The tractor was positioned with front end lower than rear end but only by a small angle. I have lifted way heavier stuff with it in the past so thought nothing of it. However, when I picked up the rock it kept slipping out of bucket so I kind of pinched it between the bucket and dipper arm. I didn't hold the lever on too long so it shouldn't have stressed it too much. Lifted the rock out fine. Got off the tractor to dig in the trench by hand and I could smell hydraulic fluid when standing in the trench back near the rear of the tractor. Checked for leaks and didn't see any drips and thought it must be a normal smell I had not noticed before. Then I moved the tractor to another location, hyd drive fwd/rev seemed to work fine, this 2nd location was flat. The hoe would operate but the bucket curl function seemed WAY down on force. Also, retracting the dipper arm was down a bit on force too. The tractor would still lift the rear end of the tractor with boom down pressure and stabilizers seemed OK. After about 10 mins the force of the bucket and dipper seemed to improve a bit but not what it usually is. It got dark and I had to park it for the day.

Motor oil is now about 2mm below the full mark (like 80% of the way between low and full) and the last time I checked the hyd fluid I took the attached pic. It has been parked in the garage so I know there has not been any slow leaks, no drops on the ground.

I mention the angle of front end being slightly lower than rear end when moving the rock because in this link (http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ll-hydraulic-function-except.html#post1794359) apparently Kubotas should not be operated with the front lower than the rear for an extended period. I was in that position for probably 20-25 minutes maximum, probably 10 of it idling. Is this a problem for MF2310 just like Kubotas? The MF 2310 hoe manual states you should operate on a flat surface in the safety section but it says nothing about damaging the tractor. Would air get in the lines if operated on an angle? If air is in the lines, will it just cause sloppy hoe movement or could it cause a loss of force on just some cylinders?

The hyd picture confused me... there appears to be a fluid in it because the whole sight glass is yellowish color so I thought it might actually be overfilled... but the window also looks like there is a messy sealant "swirl" on the inside of the glass about the half way mark. Perhaps this whiteish swirl is the fluid? The tractor had been powered off and stationary for >10 hours before the pic was taken so any bubbles should have settled out and fluid gone flat. Anyone else see this in their sight glass?

Re adding hyd fluid, can I use any other type of fluid other than MF Permatran III? Is Permatran III a type of oil or just MFs name for it? I am wondering if I can go to Canadian tire and by regular hydraulic fluid and find a "meets MF permatran III specifications" statement on it....

Hopefully I will know more when I get back to it later today and check the fluid in the day light.

In summary: tractor worked great until yesterday when iI could smell hydraulic fluid. Then I moved the tractor to another location and the it lost force in the hoe bucket curl and dipper arm retraction. At this point I thought I must have had a leak. However, it seemed to get a bit better after about 10 mins which made me think there wasn't a leak. Wondering 1) if my sight glass photo looks normal, 2) if MF 2310 hoe cannot be operated even on a minor angle, 3) if it sounds a damaged hydraulic component.

Sorry for the long post... but I am hoping it will help someone else who may experience the loss... and then partial improvement of hoe force in the future.

Attachments

• HydraulicFluidLevel.jpg
    HydraulicFluidLevel.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 320
   / No hydraulic power to bucket or backhoe! #9  
quick update...

checked hyd fluid again today after tractor sitting for 12 hours. Looked similar as in the picture... except the whitish fluid in the bottom half of the site glass seems more flat or settled than in the picture taken @ 177 hours.... I will have to take a photo from the same angle to compare...

On the bright side... i couldn't see any leaks or drips on the floor. And as far as hyd force, all appears to be normal today... used it for about 2 hours.

could it be possible a piece of dirt got caught in the dipper and bucket release valves and they are now clear?

PS: I re-checked the grade of the ground where I was pulling out the big rock... it was virtually flat... I was mistaken in the post above when I said the front end was lower than the back end.

So... my outstanding concern is what I see in the sight glass. Does anyone have thoughts about the "grease" or silicon looking stuff in the bottom half of the glass? does anyone have a photo of what their site glass looks like?

/ No hydraulic power to bucket or backhoe! #10  
mrman- I have about 120 hrs now on my 2310.... the sight glass is now and has always been very clear, sometimes hard to see if the level's near the top of the sight glass.

When was the last time the hyd fluid was changed? Maybe a good idea to drain & replace it & filters? Is there any kind of oil analysis lab available for hydraulic fluid? I have to admit that stuff looks kinda nasty! (Water contamination??)