Power steering on a 165 1971 model

/ Power steering on a 165 1971 model #1  

mlanierjr

Greetings,
I have a 1971 165 mf and am having power steering problems.
1) I have adjusted and re-adjusted it. I can set it so that it turns easily with 1 finger, but the next time I drive it it will be harder to steer one way or the other.
2) I have had the power steering cylinder rebuilt 2 times (2nd one was free)
The top Pin, the one that accepts input from the steering wheel and has the adjustment on it, is leaking er make no pouring fluid. The Local agco dealer says he can't get a replacement and I have had no luck finding one in a junk yard. Any suggestions? (especially cheap suggestions are appreciated) :)

Thanks,
Michael
P.S. Any have any front wheel weights they would like to sell?

/ Power steering on a 165 1971 model #2  
By the top pin,do you mean the valve on top of the cylinder that the swivel linkage hooks to?

/ Power steering on a 165 1971 model
Yes,
I believe so.
It's leaking out of the hole that piece 17 goes into.
Thanks,
Michael

Attachments

• 233.bmp
    969.9 KB · Views: 6,707
   / Power steering on a 165 1971 model #4  
Is that what your tractor is, a narrow front? Is #17 the part you can't get? The rest seems like seals & O-rings. Or is the actual cylinder end suspected to be faulty?

Is that what your tractor is, a narrow front?
nope I attached the wrong picture. Its a regular agricultural tractor.
Or is the actual cylinder end suspected to be faulty?
Afraid that's what I'm starting to suspect. I know master mechanics and owner-operators frequent this forum so I thought I would check in to see what their opinions were and any tips or tricks before I try and locate a used cylinder. I've had good luck repairing it using this forum and big deans cd.
Thanks,
Michael

/ Power steering on a 165 1971 model #6  
I have a MF 175 with probably the same steering as what you have and I had to to some stuff with mine over the years as well.I'd suspect that there's got to be a o-ring leaking its a pain sometimes to get the proper size o-ring to get it to stop leaking maybe try a metric size o-ring rather then standard or vise versa.As for the adjustment of the steering it takes lots of playing around with to get it to work.I'll try to dig up some info from my books so to give you a better idea of how to set the linkages up.The other problem with leaking O-rings is to keep trying differnt ones as some just don't qiute fit so I suspect thats all you can do.It took me several tries to get mine to stop leaking as well.I'll try to get the other info for you later today unless you already have it let me know As always Larry.

/ Power steering on a 165 1971 model #7  
I tried to scan the book for you but just can't seem to get it to show up it ends up being very blurry and can't read what it says.:confused:Sorry about that not all that computer savy to figure out what to do.Larry:eek:

/ Power steering on a 165 1971 model #8  
G'day Larry if you get on to either the bare co site or the sparex site you will find everything you will need to fix your power steering from a seal kit to a complete cylinder both these co's do good quality gear at good prices and no i do not work for either but use their gear in my workshop everyday. Make sure the pins on the small connecting link have no play or you will never get it right. Best of luck and i hope this helps :)

Jon

/ Power steering on a 165 1971 model #9  
G'day Larry if you get on to either the bare co site or the sparex site you will find everything you will need to fix your power steering from a seal kit to a complete cylinder both these co's do good quality gear at good prices and no i do not work for either but use their gear in my workshop everyday. Make sure the pins on the small connecting link have no play or you will never get it right. Best of luck and i hope this helps :)

Hey there banjodunn just letting you know I was trying to give mlanierjr advice on how to fix his steering on his tractor he's the one that started this thread looking for help.I have a manual for mine and don't have problems.:rolleyes: Larry

I also have the manual and big Deans cd. I can and have adjusted it to steer easily, with one finger, in both directions. I have also replaced the pins. There is little to no play. I am, as time allows, eliminating leaks and play. I want to stop the leaking and I also suspect that if the control valve is worn to much to rebuild properly it could also cause problems with a permanent adjustment of the power steering. I could also easily be wrong.
Thanks,
Michael