Milky Hydraulic Fluid

/ Milky Hydraulic Fluid #1  

mauzi

Hi there,

first of all thanks to everyone, with your suggestions my MF 245 is back in field :) did clear all the snow yesterday finally :). but just a concern, before hydraulic fluid in loader tank was contaminated, was milky and frozen. this tractor has different fluid tank built right in one of the loader arm as previous guy said he needed 3200psi and front mounted pump, which I think is good to have totally different fluid system and pump for loader . anyhow i warmed it up and took pretty much everything out, put some new fluid, ran system and drain that one too! finally filled the tank with fresh fluid, it took close to 15 litters, but still milky. Hydraulics seems working just fine but not sure what to do. It will be parked outside so really don't wanna go through the whole process again.

Good thing - oil in Transmission Differential reservoir is nice and in good shape :)

please advise.

thanks

MG

/ Milky Hydraulic Fluid #2  
Just by draining the tank isn't enough as you need to drain all the lines, filter,and cylinders as well.You still have oil in the cylinder and hoses so its more then just doing the tank.I know its a pain to do but needs to be done.Hope that helps and good luck.Larry:D

/ Milky Hydraulic Fluid
I did open 2 cylinders out of 3 but still have some. I guess, I am going to park in inside the shop this winter, and hopefully get it all out in 2-3 flushes.

/ Milky Hydraulic Fluid #4  
I don't know how cold it gets where you are but I had a MF 150 with same setup oil in right loader support,when it was real cold out it would make a lot of noise and the hyd were slow till it warmed up I replaced the hyd oil with ATF and never had a problem.
Several years later I was talking to a MF dealer and they told me they did the same thing.

/ Milky Hydraulic Fluid
thanks ALL, went to MF dealer in our area, he suggested to park it inside this winter as shop is heated. But in summer add a quarter tank of diesel run the system and drain. Then I will add ATF as kenstrac suggested. Didn't talk to dealer about adding ATF but I believe it will be far better than water+hydraulic fluid. :)

thanks all again.

Mauzi