GC2310 and hydraulic pump woes

/ GC2310 and hydraulic pump woes #1  

FredWalter

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 5300, Gravely 8163G, BCS735, etc
I use my GC2310 right now to blow my snow, with a rear mount 54" snow blower.

Last week, it wouldn't start for love or money, so I went and bought a new battery for it. A couple of days ago I put the new battery into it, and it started, but there was a funny new intermittent noise from under the seat, and none of the hydraulics work. The loader doesn't go up/down, the 3pt hitch doesn't go up/down, and I can't go forward or reverse in either speed range.

Is there something obvious that I should look for? There's no oil leaks, and there is hydraulic oil visible in the little glass thingy on the back (though only around half-way up), and it was only around -10 degrees C when it stopped working.

/ GC2310 and hydraulic pump woes #2  
Water in the hydraulic oil that is frozen? Is it stored outside? When was the fluid last changed?

/ GC2310 and hydraulic pump woes
Water in the hydraulic oil that is frozen? Is it stored outside? When was the fluid last changed?

It is stored outside, but in a portable tent garage (with both ends removed). I've been using it in below freezing conditions for the last month or more, blowing snow.

The tractor only has around 280 hours on it. I bought it used with around 140 hours on it, and the 100-hour service was done at 130 hours by the dealer that I bought the tractor from.

/ GC2310 and hydraulic pump woes #4  
It is stored outside, but in a portable tent garage (with both ends removed). I've been using it in below freezing conditions for the last month or more, blowing snow.

The tractor only has around 280 hours on it. I bought it used with around 140 hours on it, and the 100-hour service was done at 130 hours by the dealer that I bought the tractor from.

How long has it been since you last drove the tractor

/ GC2310 and hydraulic pump woes #5  
What weight hydraulic oil? summer? or winter?
Mine sometimes makes a bit of 'funny noise' when real cold until the hydraulic oil thins out from heat as well.

/ GC2310 and hydraulic pump woes #6  
Have you been letting the tractor warm up to get that hydro fluid warmed up? I switched to synthetic hydro fluid and it made a world of difference in very cold temps.

DEWFPO

/ GC2310 and hydraulic pump woes
none of the hydraulics work. The loader doesn't go up/down, the 3pt hitch doesn't go up/down, and I can't go forward or reverse in either speed range

Turns out that there is a bit of water in the hydraulic oil, and it must have froze in just the right place. I put a heat gun under the seat on the right side, with the heat directed towards the valves, and I put a magnetic oil heater on the hydraulic oil filter, and another magnetic oil heater elsewhere, and after a couple of hours, I started the tractor up, and the hydraulics worked.

It would be easier to use the magnetic oil heaters if the casting on the bottom of the tractor weren't aluminum.

What is the complete name of the synthetic hydraulic oil that people are using? I assume that I should change my hydraulic fluid real soon now, to prevent this from occuring again.

/ GC2310 and hydraulic pump woes #8  
I put Amsoil's ATH 5W30 Synthetic Tractor Hydraulic/Transmission Fluid in. According to the Amsoil tech, this is the correct Amsoil product for this unit.

DEWFPO

/ GC2310 and hydraulic pump woes #9  
Well, after burning a fair amount of diesel waiting for my tractor to warm up the transmission every time I need it, after listening to people talk about its advantages I think I'm going to bite the bullet and order some Amsoil....

How's that done- online only? I'd like to support a local dealer if possible; how's their selling business set up- by territories?

Fred, glad to hear you got it figured out!

/ GC2310 and hydraulic pump woes #10  
Clearly it is a better choice to use synthetic oil in extreme temperatures, I am not sure using synthetic allows you to completely disregard the hydro warm up.