Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 5300, Gravely 8163G, BCS735, etc

Default GC2310 and hydraulic pump woes

I use my GC2310 right now to blow my snow, with a rear mount 54" snow blower.

Last week, it wouldn't start for love or money, so I went and bought a new battery for it. A couple of days ago I put the new battery into it, and it started, but there was a funny new intermittent noise from under the seat, and none of the hydraulics work. The loader doesn't go up/down, the 3pt hitch doesn't go up/down, and I can't go forward or reverse in either speed range.

Is there something obvious that I should look for? There's no oil leaks, and there is hydraulic oil visible in the little glass thingy on the back (though only around half-way up), and it was only around -10 degrees C when it stopped working.

Tractor
    John Deere 4110

Default Re: GC2310 and hydraulic pump woes

Water in the hydraulic oil that is frozen? Is it stored outside? When was the fluid last changed?
    John Deere 4110HST
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks, I-Match, Ballast Box, #380 plow (modified to fit), Markham LD-48 Grapple, Trac-Vac 854 and lots of other STUFF.

John Deere 4x2 Turf Gator

View some of my projects/adventures in my Picasa Album

Simple JDParts Tutorial HERE

Bronze Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by kennyd View Post
    Water in the hydraulic oil that is frozen? Is it stored outside? When was the fluid last changed?
    It is stored outside, but in a portable tent garage (with both ends removed). I've been using it in below freezing conditions for the last month or more, blowing snow.

The tractor only has around 280 hours on it. I bought it used with around 140 hours on it, and the 100-hour service was done at 130 hours by the dealer that I bought the tractor from.

Bronze Member Snead Tractor LLC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FredWalter View Post
    It is stored outside, but in a portable tent garage (with both ends removed). I've been using it in below freezing conditions for the last month or more, blowing snow.

The tractor only has around 280 hours on it. I bought it used with around 140 hours on it, and the 100-hour service was done at 130 hours by the dealer that I bought the tractor from.
    How long has it been since you last drove the tractor

Elite Member
    Tractor
    MT180D

What weight hydraulic oil? summer? or winter?
    Mine sometimes makes a bit of 'funny noise' when real cold until the hydraulic oil thins out from heat as well.

Have you been letting the tractor warm up to get that hydro fluid warmed up? I switched to synthetic hydro fluid and it made a world of difference in very cold temps.

DEWFPO
    2009 Toolcat 5600 "D-Series", Hi-Flow, 29's, 72" SB-200, 84" Snowblade, 62" Lo-Pro Bucket

SOLD - 2006 MF GC2300, 2350 FEL, 2315 MMM, 2360 SB, KingKutter CarryAll

Bronze Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by FredWalter View Post
    none of the hydraulics work. The loader doesn't go up/down, the 3pt hitch doesn't go up/down, and I can't go forward or reverse in either speed range
    Turns out that there is a bit of water in the hydraulic oil, and it must have froze in just the right place. I put a heat gun under the seat on the right side, with the heat directed towards the valves, and I put a magnetic oil heater on the hydraulic oil filter, and another magnetic oil heater elsewhere, and after a couple of hours, I started the tractor up, and the hydraulics worked.

It would be easier to use the magnetic oil heaters if the casting on the bottom of the tractor weren't aluminum.

What is the complete name of the synthetic hydraulic oil that people are using? I assume that I should change my hydraulic fluid real soon now, to prevent this from occuring again.

I put Amsoil's ATH 5W30 Synthetic Tractor Hydraulic/Transmission Fluid in. According to the Amsoil tech, this is the correct Amsoil product for this unit.

DEWFPO
    2009 Toolcat 5600 "D-Series", Hi-Flow, 29's, 72" SB-200, 84" Snowblade, 62" Lo-Pro Bucket

SOLD - 2006 MF GC2300, 2350 FEL, 2315 MMM, 2360 SB, KingKutter CarryAll

Tractor
    2005 MF GC2310 TLB

Well, after burning a fair amount of diesel waiting for my tractor to warm up the transmission every time I need it, after listening to people talk about its advantages I think I'm going to bite the bullet and order some Amsoil....

How's that done- online only? I'd like to support a local dealer if possible; how's their selling business set up- by territories?

Fred, glad to hear you got it figured out!
    '07 GC2310 TLB, 2360 snowblower, 2325 MMM, Bro-Tek thumb, Woods GTC40-2 tiller, Woods RB-60 back blade, KK TYR-60 landscape rake, DR 60" Power Grader
    '05 VW Jetta Wgn TDI
    Numerous antique Japanese motorcycles

Elite Member
    Tractor
    GC2310, Toro Reelmaster 5100D

Clearly it is a better choice to use synthetic oil in extreme temperatures, I am not sure using synthetic allows you to completely disregard the hydro warm up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast