HP ratings of MF 35

/ HP ratings of MF 35 #1  

Specop_007

Silver Member
I have a Delux 35 and I'm curious what the honest HP ratings are for this machine.
Based on this it would be 30 HP
Massey-Harris Becomes Massey-Ferguson during the 1950s

How ever based on this it would be 32 on the drawbar or 37 on the PTO.
TractorData.com Massey Ferguson 35 tractor tests information

I had assumed from the model it would be 35 HP and around 32 or 33 on the PTO. I would like to have a fairly accurate estimate as I am looking at buying a new tractor and the 35 is about right where I want to be HP and size wise. Some of the new units with the updated transmissions give up a lot of HP to the transmission.....I dont want to buy a 35 HP tractor and get 25 HP at the PTO and find out my "35" HP tractor doesnt do the job.

/ HP ratings of MF 35 #2  
I have a Delux 35 and I'm curious what the honest HP ratings are for this machine.
Based on this it would be 30 HP
Massey-Harris Becomes Massey-Ferguson during the 1950s

How ever based on this it would be 32 on the drawbar or 37 on the PTO.
TractorData.com Massey Ferguson 35 tractor tests information

I had assumed from the model it would be 35 HP and around 32 or 33 on the PTO. I would like to have a fairly accurate estimate as I am looking at buying a new tractor and the 35 is about right where I want to be HP and size wise. Some of the new units with the updated transmissions give up a lot of HP to the transmission.....I dont want to buy a 35 HP tractor and get 25 HP at the PTO and find out my "35" HP tractor doesnt do the job.

That's what the Nebraska tests were/are for--an unbiased (i.e. honest) measurement of tractor performance. I'd believe the TractorData numbers. If that's not satisfactory, your best bet is to get your MF 35 dynoed.

SCUT, CUT and larger utility tractor manufacturers emphasize engine hp. Ag professionals (i.e. farmers) rate their machines by pto hp.

BTW, I have a 1964 MF-135 Deluxe diesel with multipower.

/ HP ratings of MF 35
I had thought that power test would be fairly accurate. I too look at PTO ratings and not engine ratings. I had originally looked at tractors around the 33-35 HP range but to really replace the ole girl I got now I better step up a few brackets. I'll be closer to 45 engine horse to get that 37 PTO I have now.

/ HP ratings of MF 35 #4  
Gasoline or Diesel?

Standard Motors or Perkins?

Perkins three cylinder diesel: 37.04 PTO

Standard Motors four cylinder diesel: 32.93 PTO

Continental 134 four cylinder gasoline 31.82 PTO.

SDT

/ HP ratings of MF 35
Looks like 31. Thanks!

P1010186.jpg

/ HP ratings of MF 35 #6  
I have a 35 Deluxe 4cyl Continental Gas as well as a 231s 3cyl 45 hp Perkins diesel, both geared machines. Except for fuel economy of the diesel, the 35 will do just about anything the 231s will do. Granted, the diesel will accelerate on hills where as the the 35 will just maintain speed.