MF Industrial 203 Steering Column/Sector Help Needed

/ MF Industrial 203 Steering Column/Sector Help Needed #1  

del7317

My dad has an old MF 203 Industrial Workbull that he bought several months ago and I am trying to help him with it. The steering sector has some play in it I am trying to fix. Part of the problem is the steering column on the tractor is not the one shown in the Agco Parts book for the tractor. The steering column in the tractor looks like the one for a MF Industrial 20E (see attachment).

Here are the questions I have.

Has anyone experience a setup like this where the parts book shows one type steering column and the tractor have something different?

What is the proper way to adjust the the Race Nut part #13 to the Race part #9 in the attached file?

Thanks for any and all help,

Daryl

/ MF Industrial 203 Steering Column/Sector Help Needed #2  
G'day daryl you need to have a certain amount of movement in that shaft as it is what triggers the power steering valve how much movement have you got ?

Jon

/ MF Industrial 203 Steering Column/Sector Help Needed
Hi Banjodunn,

There was a lot of movement but I did not measure the movement. When I was disassembling the column and when I got to the Race nut (Part#13) it was backed off the race (Part#9) and the rubber o-ring was missing. I think if the race nut was tighten corrrectly to the race that would take care of the excess movement. I figured out the race has to move up to allow the power steering to work due to linkage hooking the race to the valve. I have ordered the o-ring and a spacer washer that was missing.

Is the adjustment a trial and error or does there need to be some clearance between the two that can be measured with a feeler gauge? I know if it is jammed down tight to the race the movement does not feel right, it seems to tight.

I guess they kinda used what parts where available when building the tractor and thus that is why the steering column does not match-up to theparts book for the 203 model.

Thanks,
Daryl