poorly designed bucket level indicator

/ poorly designed bucket level indicator #1  

MF1652

Silver Member
Tractor
2016 John Deere 3039R
Has anyone else had problems with their bucket level indicator on their Massey Ferguson tractors not being long enough to handle the full range of bucket motion? I have a MF 1652 and managed to destroy the bucket level indicator within the first week. I curled my bucket all the way down and shook it to knock out some snow stuck in the bucket. I never noticed when I did this, the steel rod attached to the hydraulic piston was too short to support the full range of motion. It slid out of the red sleeve and was dangling there. When I curled my bucket back, the steel rod became wedged against the DL130 loader frame and crushed the rod. I had to cut the damaged rod off of the loader frame. I could easily replace it with another steel rod, but what's the point, if it limits the range of motion on my bucket. It seems like a faulty design. Was the bucket level indicator built this short for a reason? I've been using the tractor without it. It's a pain to not be able to see the level point, but at least I have the full range of motion.

/ poorly designed bucket level indicator #2  
Maybe it was mounted wrong.
A pic would help to be able to answer a question.

/ poorly designed bucket level indicator #3  
Sounds like they put it on wrong or something. I put mine on myself and never had a problem. I'm sure they will give ya another one.

/ poorly designed bucket level indicator #4  
The sleeve that the rod slides in was installed in the wrong location. If the bucket is placed flat level on the ground, the sleeve should be level with the top of the rod.

/ poorly designed bucket level indicator #5  
yup- sounds like either rod too short or sleeve up too high. The MF1250 rod indicator works just fine on my father's. perhaps a longer rod should be installed.when the bucket is level, just paint red around circumference at the sleeve.

/ poorly designed bucket level indicator #6  
The sleeve that the rod slides in was installed in the wrong location. If the bucket is placed flat level on the ground, the sleeve should be level with the top of the rod.

?? Seems the rod should be at the top of the sleeve when the bucket is curled all the way down and back (farthest limit). But a pic how this one is mounted would be most helpful to know for sure.

For a good indicator, when the bucket was level on the ground, I filed a groove around the rod at the top of the sleeve, and painted the groove with white paint.
That groove keeps the mark from wearing off when it slides through the sleeve.
Easy to spot that white ring at the top of the sleeve when the bucket is level.

Some saw the rod off at the top of the sleeve when the bucket is level, but my sleeve wasn't long enough for that to work as the rod came out of the sleeve when the bucket was full curl.

/ poorly designed bucket level indicator #7  
I have a 1643 and mine works with out a problem, but you have a larger loader.

/ poorly designed bucket level indicator #8  
I have had no problem with mine, I have used through the full range of available movement.

/ poorly designed bucket level indicator #9  
Give the service manager at Northwood Power, Charley a call he can help you out. 942-9812