Chains Front chains on GC?

/ Front chains on GC? #11  
ray...what front end damage did you experience from the use of chains on the front? How many hours on your tractor? Thanks.

I have never, and will not ever, put chains on the front of a tractor.

I realize the front wheels can spin, if it is slippery enough, when using chains.

If you know someone who leaves their tractor in 4wd all the time, you will see they wear front tires fairly badly, due to all the wheel spin.

The risk is, that potentially, chains can bite enough to stop the wheels from spinning, causing stress on the gears.

The buy a backhoe comment was tongue and cheek. (That means I was kidding). I do not expect anyone to seriously buy a backhoe to improve their traction.

/ Front chains on GC? #12  
I'm sure glad to hear you were joking about the backoe comment...that makes me feel much better. I have 25 very hilly acres and I use my 4wd from more of a safety aspect and consider the front tire wear a cheap trade-off for my piece of mind and safety. Actually the wear isn't as bad as you might think with the R4's. I installed them after my original ag's popped the sidewalls on some small locust thorns in brush I was pushing up into a pile...they've been on for over 3 years now and look to have a couple of more in them before needing changed (barring any unforeseen damage, of course). Still curious, what front end damage have you experienced?

/ Front chains on GC? #13  
I have not experienced any front end damage.

I tore a rear end out of another, completely different, older tractor.

A member did tear the front gears out of his 2310 while carrying a heavy load on the front, up a hill, in 4wd.

MF supplied the member with replacement parts at no cost. He did his own labor.

/ Front chains on GC? #14  
I routinely use chains on both front and rear wheels during snow removal. I致e never had problems. I remove snow off of my gravel road. I also use a six foot blade on the three point hitch.

I also operate my tractor in 4WD almost all the time. I also have hilly acreage that I mow. Been doing this for years without a problem.

28Red

/ Front chains on GC?
I got my answer yesterday from our AGCO rep. He said he's not aware of any damage or strain caused by running front chains on a GC.

/ Front chains on GC? #16  
I got my answer yesterday from our AGCO rep. He said he's not aware of any damage or strain caused by running front chains on a GC.
I agree...I've suffered no damage from the use of front chains...I think the POTENTIAL exists, however, when the little machine is asked to do more than designed for. They're really designed and targeted for light homeowner/small acreage use. Some folks try to use them as a dozer and I don't think they would stand up to that kind of abuse. Just because they "can" do something doesn't mean they "should" do it.