hp for 3 bottom plow?

/ hp for 3 bottom plow? #1  

ohiooutdoorsman

looking to get my hands on a plow for this spring, 2 or 3 bottom... shouldn`t have any problem pulling a 3 bottom with a MF '65' 50 hp should I??

/ hp for 3 bottom plow? #3  
Kind of depends on what you are going to be plowing and the type of soil.

Breaking sod in hard pan condiotions 2-14's would probably be load depending on your traction.

Easier pulling conditions 3-14's should not be a problem.

Pull type or semi mounted? with semi mounted you could probably pull 3-14's under most conditions.

Roy

/ hp for 3 bottom plow? #4  
Used a MF 165 to plough many acres over the years:thumbsup: no problem at all,the tractor does have loaded tires so you may need to check to see if your's does.Power wise not a problem traction will be the biggest factor. Larry

/ hp for 3 bottom plow? #5  
I like to work on 20hp per furrow but saying that we ploughed hundreds of acres for many years with 3x12in on fordson majors back in the day , Grip was more of a problem than power.!

/ hp for 3 bottom plow? #6  
Horse power isn't necessarily what you "need" for ploughing. It's the "weight" of the tractor is what you're looking for (traction)...

/ hp for 3 bottom plow?
I should not have a problem than. the tires are loaded and with the front end loader it goes about 6500 lbs, thanks for the insight guys.

/ hp for 3 bottom plow? #8  
looking to get my hands on a plow for this spring, 2 or 3 bottom... shouldn`t have any problem pulling a 3 bottom with a MF '65' 50 hp should I??

Stay away for a JD plow. They pull much harder than a Ford 101. or any other brand for that matter. Don't know ask me how I know. Ken Sweet