Mowing Identify Antique Massey Ferguson Sickle Bar Mower

/ Identify Antique Massey Ferguson Sickle Bar Mower #1  

wcp333222

Help Identify this Massey Ferguson Sickle Bar Mower? I need to identify what parts are missing and find a source for them. I believe there are at least 3 missing parts, including the rod that holds the bar up when not in use, and the top hitch of the 3 point hitch. We could not find a model number anywhere on it. Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• Combined Photos.jpg
    Combined Photos.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 2,394
   / Identify Antique Massey Ferguson Sickle Bar Mower #2  
Are you sure there is top part for the three point hitch?

Picture of tractor and very similar mower. Found it on " goggle images"

Attachments

• farmall H.jpg
    farmall H.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 5,476
   / Identify Antique Massey Ferguson Sickle Bar Mower
No, not sure there is supposed to be a top part...

I searched google images already, didn't see that one. Do you have the link?

/ Identify Antique Massey Ferguson Sickle Bar Mower
Thanks Egon! I'm starting to think it's an IH 25V. Trying to get that confirmed before ordering manuals. Found a complete set - total cost is around $150!

/ Identify Antique Massey Ferguson Sickle Bar Mower #6  
Those type of sickle mowers where actually called a semi mount mower.Looks like some one has removed the original mount plate that goes across the front and put 3pth pins in the place of where the bolts where that held that front plate on.The plate was designed in such a way as that there was a spring loaded latch that if you hit something with the bar it would release the latch and allow to mower bar to swing out and away from the tractor thus not breaking the bar off.It was a built in safety feature.No there was no top link.You actually bolted the plate to the hitch of the old tractors as there hitchs were about 2 1/2 feet long with many holes in them as well so you would mount the mower into which ever hole's that would put the mower in the best postion behind the tractor giving the widest cut without the back tire of the tractor running on top of the uncut hay,The wheel on tha back held the back of the mower up and just follow where ever yo went thats why the wheel pivots as well[kinda like how the front wheels on a shopping cart hold the front of the cart up and steer the way that you make it turn.To lift the mower up looks like the one you have used to have a handle that would be close to 5 feet long so that the operator could reach back and lift the bar off the ground to either clear rocks,stones,stumps and to also lift the bar up when you came to the end of your row and you where swing out to turn and start into a new row.I don't have the exact same mower but I do still have one that mounts to the tractor in that fashion however I don't have the tractor anymore.Mine is also a power lift where all I needed to do was pull on a rope and the bar would lift,mine was a more modern version of the one you have.The rod that held the bar up in transport position is basically a 1/2" rod that has a sort of ring on one end that stays fixed to the mower and the other end has a threaded end 2" long with a shoulder or washer welded just ahead of the threads so that when the cutter bar is up the washer or shoulder keeps the bar from flopping over to far.There was sort of a nut with a short handle on it to act as a crank that went on after you put the bar up that held the bar tight to the rod.It sounds more complicated then it really is. Larry