1030 Massey ignition switch

/ 1030 Massey ignition switch #1  

blackmax

Hello: have a 1030 Massey diesel and I think I need a new ignition switch as I have no power at the key. Battery brand new and just hads starter/solenoid rebuilt and it works if you jump the starter posts but won't fire because glow plugs work off the key. Anyone have a part # for the ignition or any suggestions on what might be the problem.Seems like an awful lot of tin to remove to get to the ignition switch unless I'm missing something thx

/ 1030 Massey ignition switch #2  
A bad safety switch would do exactly what you describe, so you may not have to replace the ignition switch...and it's probably an expensive part, so check the safety switches out first.

I have a 1010, but 1030 may be similar in some respects. You need to check the voltage coming into the solenoid from the ignition to see if it's anywhere close to the voltage being delivered from the battery to the starter itself. There may be safety switches between the ignition and the starter solenoid that have failed and which are dropping the voltage or even shorted out.

My 1010 has one at the clutch pedal, and hydro models have them at the range shift lever and at the pto shift lever. In this case, both levers must be in neutral to start the tractor. I realize I'm not describing a 1030, but you get the idea. Trace the wiring, or find someone with a wiring diagram for the 1030, and you'll know where any safety switches are located on your tractor.

The cheap way to test a safety switch is to bypass it with a jumper. If the tractor will then start, you know what the problem is. Be certain the tractor is out of gear and the pto is off, etc, before you try this. There's a reason for the safety switches!

It could be the ignition itself, in which case you'll have to replace it.

/ 1030 Massey ignition switch #3  
This is from a while back but, I am wondering how you solved your ignition switch problem. Did you need a new ignition switch or just a safety switch? I am having the same problem. I can start the tractor by bypassing the solenoid but I have no electricity at the switch, no lights no glow plugs temp gauge or fuel gauge.

/ 1030 Massey ignition switch #4  
This is from a while back but, I am wondering how you solved your ignition switch problem. Did you need a new ignition switch or just a safety switch? I am having the same problem. I can start the tractor by bypassing the solenoid but I have no electricity at the switch, no lights no glow plugs temp gauge or fuel gauge.

So you are getting voltage from the battery to the starter, next step is to see if you are getting voltage to the ignition switch. It would be helpful if you could get a wiring diagram to tell you which wire sends power to the ignition switch, and from where. On the 1010, the power source is the battery connection on the starter, which sends power to the ignition, through various safety switches, then to the starter solenoid, which will both move the starter gear into position and send current to the starter itself to make it spin.

It sounds like either you are getting no power to the ignition switch itself, or the ignition switch has gone bad. Have you checked fuses? I suppose there could be one in that circuit.