GC2300 Tie Rod dust boot Guard build

/ GC2300 Tie Rod dust boot Guard build #1  

massey driver

Gold Member
Tractor
massey 175,1655 BX 2370-1
Made guards for the tie rod dust boots on my MF GC 2300 today.I had some 2" exhaust pipe so I used it to make the guards. First I cut a 70 degree angle on both ends of the pipe,next I cut the pipe 3 1/8" long measured from the long side of the angle.Then I welded a 7/8" flat washer over top of the angled pipe.Once that was done I cut a slot out of the pipe 7/8" wide and cut right down into the washer as well.I did this so that I'd beable to slip the guard off and onto the tie rod.After cutting the slot I used a 2" trailer ball and drove it down into the pipe spreading the pipe to give it some shape.I then used a 1 5/8" socket from my 3/4" drive socket set to spread the pipe even further and creating the shape that I wanted,once I had the socket driven into the pipe i put it all into the vise and tapped the pipe against the socket creating this shape that I used.I then used a piece of 3/4" flat bar and bent it around a 5/8" rod creating a U that I welded onto the washer to use as a mount to the tie rod end. Once that was done it was just a matter of placing the guard over the tie rod and securing it into place with a hose clamp.The Guard is easily removed and install protecting the front,underside & the top of the boot.Ant dirt etc" will fall out the back of the guard.Of course its not 100% protected [Not from the back] at least moving forward thru bush ect will keep the boots from getting ripped,I supposed if your backing up a stick could get poked in from the back side but this is what I've made for mine.You can turn the wheel anyway and the boot never makes contact with the guard.Larry

Attachments

• boot proctectors 001 (Small).jpg
    boot proctectors 001 (Small).jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 334
  • boot proctectors 002 (Small).jpg
    boot proctectors 002 (Small).jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 266
  • boot proctectors 003 (Small).jpg
    boot proctectors 003 (Small).jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 302
  • boot proctectors 004 (Small).jpg
    boot proctectors 004 (Small).jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 271
  • boot proctectors 005 (Small).jpg
    boot proctectors 005 (Small).jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 351
  • boot proctectors 008 (Small).jpg
    boot proctectors 008 (Small).jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 288
  • boot proctectors 009 (Small).jpg
    boot proctectors 009 (Small).jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 647
  • boot proctectors 010 (Small).jpg
    boot proctectors 010 (Small).jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 509
  • boot proctectors 011 (Small).jpg
    boot proctectors 011 (Small).jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 471
   / GC2300 Tie Rod dust boot Guard build #2  
Nice job and even better explanation.

/ GC2300 Tie Rod dust boot Guard build #3  
Excellent documentation- even I could follow it! May I ask what sort of welding you used on the pieces?

/ GC2300 Tie Rod dust boot Guard build
Excellent documentation- even I could follow it! May I ask what sort of welding you used on the pieces?

I use a AC DC reverse polarity welder and used a 5/32 7018 low hydrogen rod. Larry

/ GC2300 Tie Rod dust boot Guard build #5  
Very good,sturdy design:thumbsup:

/ GC2300 Tie Rod dust boot Guard build #6  
Very nice, the first thing I lost was a boot on my tractor, any plans on posting a Build Design? or even making some to sell?

/ GC2300 Tie Rod dust boot Guard build
Very nice, the first thing I lost was a boot on my tractor, any plans on posting a Build Design? or even making some to sell?

Not making any to sell.I'am pretty sure if your handy with tools and a welder you can make you own fairly easy by just using basic tools and a few supplies picked up at the hardware/ auto parts store.