1986 MF 240; No Start

/ 1986 MF 240; No Start #1  

PlainToast

Greetings, All!

I've been wrestling with a starter issue on a MF240. There's now a new starter, new battery cables, good voltage at the battery, all the fuses seem to be in good condition... But still no start. No click. No nuthin.

I've attempted to correctly wire the solenoid by the wiring diagram in the I&T Manual, but there are two extra wires, and I can't wrack the grey hard enough to remember where the previous jerry-riggin owner had those two connected.

Does anyone have a picture of a working Diesel MF240 starter solenoid that I could reference?? Scoured the web and can't seem to get a clear enough look at any given starter connection, let along a 240 starter...

Thanks!

/ 1986 MF 240; No Start #2  
Have you tried using a test light to see if you have power comming to one of those wires when you turn the key to the start position.One of those wires should be live and light up the light when you turn the key to start.That wire needs to be connected to the terminal on the solinoid to actvate the starter.So in reality the main {heavy battery cable} to the big lug on the solinoid and the small wire from the key{live only when the key is turned to the start postion}to the small terminal on the solinoid.It should turn over.The other thing is make sure your tractor is in netutal on both shifters as there's a neutral saftey switch that prevents the tractor from starting in gear as well.So you may need to check that switch out as well if you can't get a live feed to the solinoid when you turn the key.On the older models The neutral switch is located in the top of the bell housing somewhere ahead of the shifter.Hope this helps,Larry

/ 1986 MF 240; No Start
I did, actually. It seems that it is possible that the neutral safety switch is either not functioning or that it is and one of the two sticks is in gear. The safety connection on the solenoid gets continuity when the key is in 'Start', but only when the battery is disconnected... Hmmm.

Can't find the safety switch, though. On a 1986, would that switch be IN the housing in front of the shift plate, or ON it? Can't seem to trace the complete path of the yellow wire back to the ignition key from the solenoid...

Thanks.

/ 1986 MF 240; No Start
Got it! Loose connection between the solenoid and the ignition switch along the safety switch line... But NOT ANYMORE, thank goodness.

Thanks for the lightening quick reply!

CJH