What is it - Good / Bad or Ulgy Ferguson 35

/ What is it - Good / Bad or Ulgy Ferguson 35 #1  

HardlyWarcane

Tractor
08 3320 John Deer
: confused:Hope it's ok to post Ferguson questions here!
I thought I bought a Massey 35 ,I'm getting older:confused 2: ,through out wheeling and dealing to be honest I didn't see it till today ,it's not a Massey Ferguson 35 !
The emblem just says Ferguson 35?
It's (I beleave the "standard") in line 4cyl diesel .
It does not have the locking diff pedal.
It has a very minor oil leak out of a cast hole on the right side wherea stub end of a shaft rests(inturnally).

All fluids look like their new.
S/n number SDM 153575
paid $2250 cnd ,the guy didn't know the year ,or how many hrs are on it as it has a brand new tach / hr meter that works ,but only shows 1.2 hrs he said that there wasn't one in it for the 6yrs he's had it.
He also just replaced the oil temp and pressure gauges, he converted it to single wire 12v delco alt.
Rear tires are sun cracking, but holding air (and there loaded) ,fronts are truck tires - I think I'll change that right away.

I'm told the Massey 35 with this engine is OK, just a little hard to start?
It does have working glow plugs.
Can any one add they're two cents worth - I'll take the news good or bad!
This is to be a secoundary tractor for me for lifting emplements in and out of my truck bed and moving trailers around my yard if and when my 08 JD 3320 EHydro is out working away from home.
I have an Allied loader off an old T.O.30 or 35 gas (Block is cracked right thru) that I'm hoping will fit onto this Ferguson 35 with out much trouble - 2 hyd cylinders on the bucket ,2 on the loader arms ,it has power down capablity.
The blade came with the tractor.
Thanks for any input ahead of time!

Attachments

• Ferguson - 35 006.jpg
    Ferguson - 35 006.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 1,153
  • Ferguson - 35 007.jpg
    Ferguson - 35 007.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 1,668
  • Ferguson - 35 012.jpg
    Ferguson - 35 012.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 1,117
  • Ferguson - 35 001.jpg
    Ferguson - 35 001.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 937
   / What is it - Good / Bad or Ulgy Ferguson 35 #2  
Hi neighbor, it looks to be a 1959 FE35, does the id plate say it was made in Coventry UK.
the ser# prefix translates to
S-standard width
D-Standard Motors Co. 23c diesel engine
M-dual clutch
The 23c diesel is perhaps the hardest starting diesel ever produced, but if the glow plugs are working and you use a block heater when needed they are a good motor.
If that shaft with the oil leak is the clutch shaft, check that the drain hole under the bellhousing is not plugged, it should have a loose fitting cotter pin in it. Keep us updated;)

/ What is it - Good / Bad or Ulgy Ferguson 35
Been looking it over today and got alittle more info:
Beside the egnition switch - plate reads :
Massey Ferguson FE35 Great Britian Ltd.
SDM153575 Made in England by Standard Motor Co.Ltd, Coventry, England.

And yes, I thinkg the shaft is the clutch shaft ,but on the right side of the block.
I'll look tomorrow for the cotter pin on the bottom.
If you look at the picture here ,the oil was coming from the circle in the red casement below the air cleaner above the gray brake peddle rod.

Glow plugs work and with a slow count to 10 and then moving to start mod. she started in about 6 to 7 sec.
She seems to smoke though at a light idle there isn't any to see, but rev it up and drive it a bit and come to a stop and it's still puffing a bit.
I'll have to let it warm right up to see if it still does it - the above was after about 10 minutes running time ?

Thank you for the year gestament or is this correct thru the sin number???

Question : should I get rid of the truck tire and go back to the slimmer ribbed tractor tires, or is there a reason to run them - tractor ribbed tires are only
$120.00 ea. that seems cheap to me???
Kal tire agg. dept, says I need to let them know how wide the rim is in the front, because this tractor if it came with a 4 inch wide rim had 6.50x 16inch tires, or if the rim is 5 inches wide it would have had 7.50x 16 in. tires - does that make that big of differance?
Thank for your time.

Attachments

• Ferguson - 35 019.JPG
    Ferguson - 35 019.JPG
    269.4 KB · Views: 955
   / What is it - Good / Bad or Ulgy Ferguson 35 #4  
Yes, that ser# makes a 1959 model, it looks to be in nice condition and
$2250 was a good price for it. I wouldn't be in a hurry to change those tires, if you are using it with a loader and doing yard work in close quarters you may find they are easier to turn than the ribbed. It is not unusual for it to be a little wet where the clutch pedal shaft rotates in the casing, my only concern was that the bellhousing was full of oil, you can also remove the inspection plate underneath to take a looksee.