Hydraulic sight glass question

/ Hydraulic sight glass question #1  

Wacky

Veteran Member
Tractor
2010 GC2610
While using the BH for the first time today I noticed that on level ground the fluid filled the sight glass. But when I was working on steep ground, with the front of the tractor down hill, I checked the level and it was not even in the glass at all, is this ok? However, I never noticed the pump sound change, or anything act any differently. The only abnormality was when I swung the boom to the full left it struggles to turn right when barely dragging the ground, however it works fine from right to left. Maybe because the cylinder is fully extended from left to right and working on such a steep grade??

/ Hydraulic sight glass question #2  
While using the BH for the first time today I noticed that on level ground the fluid filled the sight glass. But when I was working on steep ground, with the front of the tractor down hill, I checked the level and it was not even in the glass at all, is this ok? However, I never noticed the pump sound change, or anything act any differently. The only abnormality was when I swung the boom to the full left it struggles to turn right when barely dragging the ground, however it works fine from right to left. Maybe because the cylinder is fully extended from left to right and working on such a steep grade??
You're okay...always check the sight glass on level ground...if you fill to Massey's spec.'s, the sight glass will be completely immersed in liquid...I like to have a little gap at the top of the glass and also add about 1/2 pint of red power steering fluid or ATF to color the fluid...it's tough enough to see when the BH is mounted and every little bit helps.

/ Hydraulic sight glass question
Thanks! I thought it might be fine, just wanted to make sure. By the way did you change the oil in the front diff to gear oil, or just the same hydro oil that is in mine? I have heard of people changing to gear oil because of the seepage from the hydro oil. Never mind, I just saw your other post on the other thread.

/ Hydraulic sight glass question #4  
Similar question. My fluid was in the middle of the glass, then after a solid 8 hours of work with lots of bucket use (moved about 50 yards of dirt and rock), I parked the tractor and no longer see the fluid level. Long story short, I could smell fluid while working, and figured over 8 hours perhaps enough had leaked out that it was a little low. Since I couldn't tell by the sight glass if it was low or high, I erred on the side of caution and started adding fluid. 3 gallons later I am figuring that it wasn't below the sight glass, it was above and was probably due to how I was parked or I left the bucket in a different position and it was enough to make a difference.

Is there any way to check this other than the sight glass? I honestly can't tell if its empty or full because the oil is so clear. I like the idea of adding the red fluid so you can tell though doesn't some of that stuff have detergents and such that could be bad?

I called the service guys at the local MF dealer and they just said my only option was to drain it and refill. Not relishing the idea of finding a clean pan that will hold nearly 12 gallons of oil, and trying to keep it clean while draining and refilling.

/ Hydraulic sight glass question #5  
Get a friend to watch the sight glass as you drain off the three gallons
you added. You just need to back off the drain plug enough to get
the hydro fluid draining. If you have a helper watching it is so much easier cause they will tell you when to thread the plug back in.